scope for a Mark III ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Cajun Chooter, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

i just got a Ruger Mark III stainless with the 6-7/8 barrel... want to install a scope on it.. was leaning towards a Bushnell TROPHY XLT 2-6X32MM MULTI -X ......... anyone have any recommendations ?
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Chooter, I just mounted a Burris 4x scope on my MK III but have only had it to the range one time so school is still out. I does make for a large heavy package so I am going to have to prop it on something if I am going to shoot it very accurately. It is a great scope and I have had it on other handguns and it has with stood much use without any problems. I have heard nothing negative about the Bushnell Trophy.

I also am looking longingly at the Match Dot red dot scopes which would make for a much more compact set up but I would lose the magnification. Check them out.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/

[​IMG]
  3. todd51

Forgot to welcome you to the forum Cajun Chooter so welcome.
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Hey, Todd! Some parts fell out!:D I'm like you,I tried the red dot (not the Ultra, couldn't afford that one) but I need the magnification to get any accuracy at any real distance. That is a very SWEET(should be a law against old men using that word) rig.:)
  5. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Chooter,

I also just got the MKIII, stainless and put the TruGlo red dot 1X, with the 40MM tube on it. It is heavy but much easier to sight thru than the 30MM and the size of the dot increases with the higher brightness settings. I tried the 2x but found it somewhat distored the target which I had read warnings on somewhere in this form. While heavy, it does stabilize the gun and I don't really notice the weight until I holster the weapon. Off hand at the 25 yd range, I was able to keep shots in the red center of the 25 yard target, and if I used the sandbag, I could ballentine the shots. The MK III is a superlative .22 in my book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Neverhome
  6. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

can you tell me where you got it.. and the going price ??

thanks,
  7. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

is the scope you referring to available in silver color ?

thanks again
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Tru glo's are great scopes. The Tru Glo halo sights are nice on them too
  9. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Chooter,

I got it at Cabelas on sale for $59.00. I don't think it comes in silver. At least they did not have it there and I found a web site I think was called Leather and Lights or Lights and Leather and they said in only came in black too. Try googling it. Overall their prices were good but because it was on sale at Cabelas here in Maine and I could actually take it out of the package and look at it, I bought it locally. I think the going price is around $69.00 but it comes with a lifetime gaurantee, even thought it is made in China. I am however, very impressed with it and I think you will like it.

One suggestion. It comes with lens covers which are not quite tight fitting and can fall off. I remideed that by placeing U Glue strips (brand name) which are actually double sided sticky strips on the scope and then slid the lens caps on. They are now very secure and you cannot see the tape.

Neverhome
  10. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Chooter,

One more thing. If you do not have a holster that allows for a scope, check out Black Dog Machine if you like the Kydex style holsters or The Sportsman's Guide if you prefer leather. Both will handle the Truglow scope.
    My son has a MKIII bull barrel and he has the Kydex and I prefere leather so I went with the Ruger holster from The Sportsmans guide. It fits very well and unlike the picture on line, the 6.8 inch barrel does not protrude. Also comes with a pouch for an extra clip. If you order just be sure you order the scoped model. It runs about $69.00 and shipping but I feel is well worth it given its looks and functionality. If you prefer the kydex which the Guide also offers, I suggest you go direct to Black Dog Machine. They include a part that allows you to choose a high or low carry. The Guide only offers the high carry which I find a little uncomfortable with a winter coat. But I am 5'6" tall. A larger man may not have trouble with it.

Neverhome
  11. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

Thanks for all the info guys... i ordered a Ultra Dot Match Dot 4... looking forward to mounting it on my Ruger Mark III competition and going to the range & burn some ammo...
  12. todd51

Be sure and let us know how the Match Dot works out. Range report and pictures if you can. Don't have one them but every thing I hear about them is great. Wish I did have one.
  13. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

I am trying out the 42mm 2x red dot by truglo. It does take some brain effort when compared to my buckmark open reflex sight. However, it also can take a shotgun kick if I want that. The 2.5MOA dot is nice though.