scope for marlin 336

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Juststartingout, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

You don't have to take my word guys; but the Marlin 308MX/XLR and 338MX/XLR (MX - 22" barrels/XLR 24" stainless barrels) lever action rifles built around the 336 action are traditional in looks only. These rifles are engineered to shoot Hornady factory loaded FTX 160 gram (308ME) and 200 grain (338ME) bullets; the rifles themselves feature improved barrel/frame threads and are built to closer tolerances than other Marlin lever gun models. The FTX bullet design allows these guns to function with pointed tip bullets meaning that the traditional lever gun is no longer limited by old fashioned flat point bullets that rapidly shed velocity and impact accuracy. Factory Marlin triggers are crap; but with a good trigger job, or WWG's "Happy Trigger", it is absolutely incredible how well these rifles shoot. I own Marlin levers in both calibers (22' barreled MX versions); I've found both extremely accurate and the 338ME to be an absolutely amazing lever gun round in terms of accuracy and it ability to flatten deer. And although I've hunted no animals larger than deer, other Marlin 338MX owners have reported the effectiveness of this caliber on elk, moose, bear, and buffalo; and as to its long range accuracy, one Marlin 338MX owner bagged a coyote from his deer stand with a single head shot at a measured 403 yards. Those are the facts; but as this is a free country, folks are free to believe anything they wish.
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, lever actions have the power and accuracy to deal with any north American game. After all, to down a deer or a moose all you need a LA to do is group six inches at 200 yards. But a bull barreled 30-06 with a varmint scope will reach out a couple of hundred yards further and shoot rings around a LA all day long
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. Juststartingout

Juststartingout New Member

A lot of good stuff here. I will be looking for a scope in the $80 to $100 range. I will be trying for 200 yards and after reading what everyone put, I don't think that will be a promblem. I will have to agree with Tom, that the trigger is a bit heavy. Is that something that I can take care of? I've also heard about the new ammo from Hornady but haven't tried it. I was shooting flat tip bullets and they were reloads my dad made a long time ago and did ok at 200 yards. I will be reloading my own for this gun, any suggestions on primers, powder, and bullets?
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if rolling your own.. try a balistic tip like the leverevoloution
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

If you are going to use the rifle as the brush gun itwas made to be, I would suggest a leupold 2 x 7 and keep the magnification down for close shots.
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Not a real long range rifle so i think 4 x12. If your hunting then look in the bushnell elite 3200. the rain guard helps.
  7. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

Juststartingout, in reading some of the posts here; it is obvious that there are some gentlemen who are content to remain in a state of blissful ignorance. As you have impressed me as an individual who wishes to get the best from his Marlin rifle, please allow me to suggest that you visit Marlin Owners and click on the forum link there. When you do you will find forums for the standard Model 336 (30/30, 32 Special, and 35 Rem), for vintage Marlin levers like the Model 93, for odd Marlin 336 calibers (219 Zipper, 356 Win, 375 Win, etc), the new Marlin Express traditional lever guns (308/338MX-XLR models), and the big bores such as the Model 1895 in 45/70 and 450 Marlin. Everything you ever wanted to know about Marlin lever rifles can be found there; and then some, and posted by folks who actually know what they're talking about. There are no shortage of postings/pictures there of 100 yard lever gun groups that can be covered with a quarter. and plenty of pics of all variety of game taken with Marlin levers in various calibers from elephants to varmints. The 30/30 has been brought into the 21st Century with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo, and members there have recorded one-shot kills on deer with 30/30 levers and Hornady FTX ammo out to nearly 300 yards. The Hornady FTX is amazing stuff; I've personally dropped the hammer on, and killed 12 Whitetail deer with Hornady FTX ammo over the past four years using 32 Special and 308/338ME FTX, all were bang flops. Prior to becoming reacquainted with the traditional lever gun, I hunted deer with my Belgium Browning Safari 30/06 bolt gun for 25-30 years; but retired that gun after the first time I shot the Marlin 338MX. I haven't used it; or another bolt gun since, and I'm not the only one! As to your trigger, there is an aftermarket drop-in trigger unit made for Marlin levers called the Wild West Happy Trigger and sold by an Alaskan company called Wild West Guns (they make custom Marlin lever guns in wild and weird calibers like the .50 Alaskan); but on Marlin Owners you will find a thread there that shows you step by step how to custom tune your trigger. There are other discussions on how barrel bands impact accuracy and instructions on how to make adjustment there; detailed discussion topics on hand-loading; etc. but if you do visit this site be careful, as you could become infected with "Marlinitis"; but hey if do, that condition is not nearly so dreadful and tragic as one of the other self-inflicted maladies that we call "ignorance"!
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

I do not feel that anyone is arguing that the 30-30 can (now) be used as a long range gun with the premium grade ammo currently available. It is is just that virtually no lever action rifle in a 2 piece stock; regardless of who made the gun, is going to be capable as a long range target rifle. Period, end of statement.

The Marlin rifle in discussion is quite a nice rifle, it is a wonderful hunting gun and as such has performed beautifully for putting food on the table. For obvious reasons the Marlin rifles have their "cult" of followers, if it is what you prefer and shoot well then so be it.
  9. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I agree they aren't as accurate as many bolt action rifles but with good ammo that your rifle likes they shoot better than they need to to put meat on the table. They never were designed to shoot paper.

I have a 1952 336 in 35 Remington that has taken more deer and bear than any gun that I own. It has never failed to bring down game with one shot so it must be accurate enough to place a bullet where it needs to go and that's all that really matters.

Scopes...I thought this thread was about scopes. :D

This Redfield Widefield 2-7 has been on it since sometime in the '70's. I'm not a big fan of scoping lever action rifles but after all this time it's staying put.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  10. soundguy

i'll get a pic of mine and post it. (336)

it went on my last hog hunt.. but a buddy used it. I bagged mine with a remmy 700 3006
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  11. Juststartingout

Juststartingout New Member

Very nice pic gunhugger!! I am looking at scopes on ebay and I am selling stuff there too, for the new scope. I have also heard that the new Hornady ammo for the .30-.30 is good for up to 400 yrds. But not sure if that was a LA or BA. My hopes are for 2 to 300 yrd range. Only because this is my only true rifle. My other one is a savage model 1899 made in 1911. Its not dirlled for a scope and its over a hundred years old. So Im gonna save that one.
  12. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

Under the right circumstances, the Hornady 30/30 Leverevolution ammo will be good out to about 250-275 yards; anything over that range will become a stretch with a 30-30. If you stay with a traditional lever gun, then you need to step up to the 308MX or 338MX in a Marlin rifle if you plan to take longer shots (the 338 Marlin express with Hornady 200 grain FTX bullet will ballistically duplicate a 180 grain 30/06 bullet out to 400 plus yards); and you need to do a lot of range time beforehand as not all Marlin 30/30 levers will group well with Hornady FTX ammo (most will). It takes a very good shot to consistently take deer sized game at 300-400 yards; and since I hunt from a tree stand, and not a bench, I limit my hunting shots to 250 yards.
  13. soundguy

200+ yds is getting plenty long range for a hunting suituation.. I generally prefer less.. IMHO
  14. whirley

whirley Member

You have received a lot of info. Heres more...You have a well made rifle. probably with microgroove riflng.. Excellent choice. Buy the best scope you can afford, because you can only shoot as well as you can see. Forget the see through mounts, you want to be able to look at the cross hairs immediately when you quickly mount the rifle to your shoulder. Hunting in woods and brush, you;ll probably never get a shot at a deer beyond 80 yards, however a 30/30 sighted in at 150 yards will easily kill a deer out to 225 yards considering bullet drop. I've done that. Any 30/30 ammo off the shelf will do the job although I'm partial to Federal ammo. A deer is a 12x12inch target at the shoulder. You must become proficient at shooting within 5 seconds after putting you crosshairs on the target or deer. Too many target shooters are slow to shoot. Practice dry firing. Enjoy a well made rifle for many years. Quoting my son and his Marlin 336 in .35 Remington..."One shot, meat in the pot and no tracking!" I forgot, get a hammer extension also, easier to cock wearing gloves.