Scope For My 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by robhac, Jul 28, 2007.

1. robhac

robhac New Member

I have a springfield 1911 champion 45 and would like to put on a scope but i have no idea what i need or have to do like do i need scope mounts or base rings and what kind of scope would be good for target shooting any help would be great.Thank you
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

welcome robhac to TFF. you need to look into frame mounts, they mount to the bottom of your gun via the front(where it says IMBEL BRAZIL, a gunsmith will need to drill and tap it for you) and the slide release hole(on the ejection port side of your pistol), preferrably made of high strength steel, but those aircraft grade aluminum ones are good too, try to steer clear of plastics... as for scopes, if you want an actual scope, try a long eye relief 2X OR 4X magnification, however, i prefer the holosights like the swat team uses, they are lighter, and you can use them easier in low light situations... happy hunting, and once again, welcome to TFF
  3. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Like he said about the gunsmith and drilling and tapping. But as far as the scopes go I would go with the thompson center scope. Straight 2 power. You would be hard pressed to shoot at anything and hit a dime with it as far as you can see with anything more. I am sure that there are quite a few that are going to give different opinions to this......anyway, welcome my friend, hope everything works out as far as the pistol goes :)
  4. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  5. travihanson

travihanson New Member

heeyyyyy....thats a pretty good idea....I'm going to have to remember that....
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good one tex, i forgot all about those, and my laptop was sitting right on top of my brownells catalog when i first replied:)