Scope height questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jpdusn, Jul 7, 2012.

1. jpdusn

jpdusn New Member

Reposting here.

First some info on rifle:
    Rifle: Remington R-25. (308)
    Mount attach point: Pic rail on top of AR style receiver.
    Questions:

Is there a "standard" height above the pic rail or top of the receiver (1/4 inch difference) that the centerline of the scope should be?

Do manufacturers of firearms or ammo recommend any distance specs for the distance between the centerline of barrel to the centerline of scope?

Does this distance (greayer or smaller) effect accuracy?

Is it just a comfort/ergo thing?

Thanks in advance for any info on this subject. It will be appriciated.
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hi jpdusn.
    What scope are planing to put on?
    There is no set height because depending on what optics you are going to use will determine the height.
    Style and size of the objective of the scope will determine it.
    And how you like to hold the gun (ware your eyes line up) should also be taken into account.
    There also is see thru mounts so your iron sights can be used.
    Remember you bore sight the scope after mounting then off to the range for final sighting it in.
    Mike
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Here is a link that is likely to be a bit more complicated than most persons are going to want to deal with. Still, it explains some basic principles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_rule

Generally speaking, it is desirable to have the top of ones sights as close to the centerline of the bore as possible. Thus, the iron sights, on a conventional single shot or bolt action rifle, have some advantages over a scope, as the line of sight is closer to the centerline of the bore using iron sights.

The higher the line of sight is above the bore, the further out (in horizontal distance) will be the crossing point of the line of sight and the bullets path. Thus, the higher the line of sight, above the bore axis, the lower a rifle will shoot at say 25 to 50 yards on say a 200 yard zero.

Hope this helps.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

jpdusn, welcome to the forum. Hope you can take some time to browse the other sections; it's a great place with great help from people who know their stuff.

My experience falls in line with what goofy and Hammerslagger said. I have scopes on my rifles.
    The .223 has a large objective so sits relatively high off the barrel. The gallery rifle has a smaller objective so sits closer to the barrel. The scope on my .22 caliber AR15 look alike sits on top of the frame, a good 2.5-3 inches above the barrel. All three shoot fairly accruately for where they are sighted in, and then I make adjustments for shooting other distances.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unless the scope line of sight is very close to the bore line, or the target is at a very short range, the bullet will cross the line of sight twice, once on the way up and once on the way down, at the point where the rifle is "sighted in".

As for accuracy in relation to scope height, there really is no connection. A scope could (in theory) be mounted ten feet above the bore line and the rifle could still be sighted in.

So scope height, stock comb height, etc., are mainly matters of scope and rifle design, plus shooter comfort and usability, not accuracy.

Jim
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The AR platform in its M16 configuration was designed for iron sights mounted on the top of the handle. The stock is so made to accommodate this. That is, the stocks upper surface where your face touches is very close to the center line of the barrel. That makes the sights have to be located pretty high in order for the iron sights to line up comfortably with the aiming eye. Any lower and weird head positions are required to even seen through the sights.

With the flat top version of the AR, iron sights are almost unusable if comfort during shooting is desired. If a scope is mounted on a flat top version it must be raised quite a bit in order to align comfortably with the shooter's eye. The height above the barrel, almost regardless of the scope's bell diameter, is dictated by comfort of the shooter. Risers are commonly used under scopes on the AR flat tops to get the scope aligned with the eye of the shooter. It might be nice to have the scope down on the barrel for geometric considerations but with an AR flat top it is virtually impossible to have a comfortable shooting position with a scope down on the barrel.

I have three AR style guns: a common 223 flat top varmint version, a 22LR Tac Sol flat top version, and a 50BMG equivalent BOHICA flat top bolt action conversion. All three require high risers in order to comfortably shoot them. In my case the riser might be extra high as I have a long neck but my son-in-law does not and he never complains about the scope mounting when he shoots our 50BMG (actually 50DTC) conversion.

So the bottom line is really ergonomics. The scope needs to be high enough such that you can view the scope through the center of the scope's ocular (rear) lens system and not off center, which could introduce parallax errors in scope sighting.

On guns other than AR's, the lower the better (usually), but you still have to have the scope high enough for comfort. A lot of scope height is dependent on the stock design. No matter what, the shooting position has to be comfortable and allow the eye to align with the optical center of the scope.

Today a lot of people buy the big 50mm or larger belled scopes, forcing very high scope mounts. Those large belled scopes are probably a waste unless the scope is high magnification. These scopes are common in Europe because they allow low light shooting whereas, throughout most of America, shooting in other than daylight is not allowed. Any gains in brightness are lost by the limits of the iris of the human eye...but that is another story.

LDBennett
  9. jpdusn

jpdusn New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I was pretty sure that the ergo/comfort/eye alignment is the over riding issue as that's what I was always told. Along with being told to always mount the scope as close to the top of the barrel as possible. This has worked just fine on all my hunting style rifles but does not work at all for me on this flat top R-25 and so spreading out the distance between the bore centerline and scope centerline for ergo/alignment only reasons was a concern.

I believe a mount similar to the one listed above would be a great improvement. It would raise my current scope position by a half inch putting it in a more ergo position for me. What is a fair cost for a mount like this one? I'm kind of the middle of the road guy when it comes to purchases. I find problems with cheaper stuff and think the top end stuff is overpriced.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are also less expensive risers that fit between the gun's rail and the scope mounts. I use them on my AR with no problems.

LDBennett
  12. JPD

JPD New Member

Well I picked up a new set of scope rings last night. I went with the Nikon P-Series 2 piece mounts. They raised the scope hieght almost a half inch from their previous location and they match up nicely with the Nikon 3-9 x 40 scope and most importantly, my eye. Much more comfortable and my head is in a much better shooting position. Now all I have to do is get to the range and site iin the scope......again. Oh darn, that really sucks.....NOT!!!

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-series-scope-mount-w-rings.html
  13. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

No, not always true.

That depends on the zero distance, the caliber, the bullet, scope height and the rifle.

In this chart an AR firing M193 ammo shows a close and far zero for a 50 and 25 yard zero, but when using a 100 yard zero the bullet only touches the line of sight at 100 yards.
    [​IMG]

I like a 50 yard zero with my AR's since it will hit within 2" high or 2" low out to about 250 yards.

I could discuss the second part of your reply too...

In theory, you are correct. But it does matter. The higher the scope is mounted the more off it will be at any distance other that the one it is zeroed for. So the lower you can go is always best unless you shoot at the exact same distance every time.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I agree in the situation where the line of sight is relatively hign (2 inches or more) above the bore line.

And you are correct that "it will be at any distance other that the one it is zeroed for", but I didn't address the "other than" distance. I said that the distance of the scope from the rifle bore, up, down or sideways, doesn't prevent the scope from being sighted in, and that is true. Now a scope ten feet above bore line would not make much sense for a normal rifle, but artillery pieces often have their sights several feet from the gun bore, and remote controlled naval and coastal defense guns were sometimes "zeroed" from hundreds of yards or even miles away. If the projectile hits where the sights say it should, the gun is "zeroed" no matter where the gun and the sight are in relation to one another.

Jim
  15. JPD

JPD New Member

Couple of questions about your chart.
    1. The distance between 0 and the -2.5 on the left side of the chart. Is that the distance between the cross hairs/line of sight (0) thru the scope and the horizontal center line of the barrel bore (-2.5)?
    2. What exactly is M193 ammo?

Other than that the chart makes sense. The bullet must always rise to meet the line of site at least once depending on site in distance and the trajectoy curve of your particular ammo and rifle. Did I get that right?