The Firearms Forum banner

Scope Mounting on Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  southernshooter 
#1 ·
This rifle comes equipped with front and rear sights as do many rifles. I removed these sights to mount a scope on the rifle. Do the empty screw holes need to be plugged or can they be left unplugged? Safety is my main concern.

#2 ·
huntfishplayball:

Common sense comes into effect with this question. If the empty holes go all the way through the receiver and expose the internals of the gun through that hole then plug it. Most such holes are blind; that is, they have a bottom. Will they be covered by scope mounts? If they are plugging them is probably not necessary. For the hole in the barrel---It looks tacky to see a front sight removed and a hole left in its place. I'd either leave the front sight on the gun or plug it.

Plugs are available through Brownells if you know the thread size. A thread gage could eaily determine that.

LDBennett

#3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to answer this question. The holes are blind and do have a bottom, but I just wanted to make sure on this. I will not plug the two holes located under the scope but I will plug the two holes on the end of the barrel. I wanted to remove the large sight on the front of the barrel because these sights tend to get hung up on every vine in the woods when walking or stalk hunting. Thanks Again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.