Scope Mounting Problem on H&R Handi-rifle

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tonygrz, May 10, 2008.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I recently purchased an H&R handi-rifle in 44 mag. I wanted to use a Tasco Bantam scope in 2.5X. The tube length is very short and to fit the scope on the rifle and clear the hammer, I had to move both scope rings in front of the adjustment posts. It looks a little weird but I don't mind as long as you think it will hold POA. What do you think????

Thanks for your replies.

Tony Garza
    tonygrz
  2. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

No ideas.............oh, come on. Someone has some idea.

tonygrz
  3. mrsnelling

mrsnelling New Member

Here you go!
    I just purchased the handi-rifle in 223 caliber. I used the same technique as you to mount a Weaver 2.5x7. I was worried about having both rings forward of the adjustment posts. Signted it in the old fashioned way and had a group I can cover with a nickle at 40 yeards after 30 rounds breathing right and squeezing them off very slowly. Shooting off sandbags on a good bench of cours! Anyway, on Friday morning at dawn I spooked a flock of big does out of a hardwood thicket and they ran white flags flying across a clear cut. I whistled and finally one stopped and looked back about 200 yards out. I was worried because I had to shoot standing but I was able to get a rest off a Sweetgum sapling that the tree harvester had stripped and had stood itself back up. I cranked up the scope to 7x for the first time after sighting it in at 2.5x only. I squeezed off the round and saw the whold herd run. Never saw her jump. After walking up to where she had been I began circling. One drop of red. More! Spattering! Then gushing red on limbs. There she was, stone dead, tangled up in a Cedar top left by the loggers. I had hit her in the chest right where I was aiming. Took out both lungs. Best shot I ever made. I like my little Handi-Rifle with he funnly looking scope.
    Send me an email at mrsnelling@yahoo.com and I will send you a picture.
  4. mrsnelling

mrsnelling New Member

PS
    My rifle is the Handi-Grip Handi-Rifle with Heavy Barrell. Model is SB2-2T3 which, as I said, is the Remington .223. Love that flat shooting little round. I use the 55gr soft tip standard round for hunting. I could have gone with the higher mounts but I had a set of the standard 1" tip-off ruger mounts and I don't like high scopes. The real trick is that the back ring has to be jammed right up against the adjustment post and the front ring is two slots forward of that. The front recticle is nested down on the scope mount. What this means is that it just barely works. If the slots were any further back it would not work. If the front rectivle were any bigger it would not work. If the back of the scope tube were any shorter it would not work. The hammer falls against the receiver and ther is not even enough clearance to get a playing card in there. However there is clearance. You can slip a standard sheet of paper under ther with the hammer down. I am tickled to death with the setup and the scope is not too far back like I feared it might be. This may be my hunting gun for the rest of my life. One shot, one kill. Who needs a magazine?!!!
  5. lkennedy

lkennedy New Member

H & R has two options for mounting your scope correctly, should it become a problem. I kept barking my thumb when cocking. Bought the spur extension, to save my sore thumb.
    1. Hammer spur extension for low mounting profile scope rings
    2. High profile mounting scope rings.
  6. lkennedy

lkennedy New Member

You are right though, these are great little single shots. The one I was setting up was my sons first rifle in 30-30. I loaded ammo for it using 130 grain spitzer boat tail bullets. You could drive a tack @ 100 yds (scoped of course). Plan on getting my oldest grandson one for this years season.
  7. Skipper

Skipper Member

Taller rings?