Scope mounting problems Need help Quick!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by keppler, Nov 20, 2003.

1. keppler

keppler New Member

I finally started sighting in the Win. 94 in 44 mag and have run into a big problem. I run out of adjustment on the scope before its sighted in. I'm shooting at 50 yards and run out when it shoots 5 or 6 inches low. Its good left and right but this one has me stumped...never had this problem before. Should I shim the scope or could it be the bases or rings? I only have tomorrow since season opens Sat. and I wasnt really expecting any problems. The gun shoots good with the iron sights.
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

That's the 3x-9x-40mm, right? What rings/mounts are you using?
  3. keppler

keppler New Member

Weaver bases and Leupold rings.

I think I may have figured it out. The screws that clamp the rings to the bases seem to be hitting the bases, holding the rings up off the bases some. The one in front was doing it more than the one in the rear, in fact, the ring would rock on the base instead of sitting flat.
    I had some Weaver rings and swapped them out. At least they sit on the bases better. I'll try it out in the morning and see what happens.

Anythings else I could look for or other suggestions to try....I'm all ears.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Tho I love 'em, weaver rings are not really accurate in dimension.
    Try swapping the rings, front to rear, and note the group shift.
    A good machinist could move the screw holes the .020 or so you need, but if the gun doesn't respond to the ring switch, throw the base away and replace it.
  5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Generally, the problem you describe is a result of the scope being too high above the bore for the range you are attempting. I figured you had see-through mounts. Sounds like you do have some mounting problems, though...

Obviously the base has to be tight to the receiver, the rings have to be both tight AND square, and the scope has to be well centered and bottomed to the rings, with equal and adequate (but not too much) ring pressure.

When I had the retail shop open, I'd get several rifles each month that "wont shoot" because of improper scope mounting. At $25-$30 a pop to remount (correctly), I loved 'em!

:D
  6. keppler

keppler New Member

Got it fixed by swapping the rings. I was useing Leupold rings and Weaver bases. I switched the rings to some Weaver rings I had laying around here and had no problem sighting it in. Shoots real good now. At 50 yards the 3 shot groups are basical one hole. I have no idea why the Leupold rings wouldnt work on the bases but the mounting screw that works the clamping action was bottoming out in the groove across the base and holding the front of the scope up off the base just 1/16" or so.

If anybody can have a wierd problem...it'll be me:D
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

What a great result, totally by accident. I love it! Logic by default!
    congrats on a problem, well solved!
    Simple problems deserve simple solutions. Ours is an simplistic, though detailed, task. put 'em all in one hole, bro!