Scope Mounts for Modified SMLE

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

AntiqueDr
    (10/20/01 9:42:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Fredneck - SMLE Scope question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the "Military Rifles" post you expressed an interest in mounting a scope to an altered #4 Mk I SMLE. It is certainly possible.

Ideally, the milling was done so as to recontour the receiver to some commercial action type. You would think if they did that they would have d/t it. One method would be to get the radius of the receiver now and compare it to other action types, then d/t the correct hole spacing. Dealing with differing ring heights might be a problem.

Realistically, your best bet would be a side mount such as the Williams SM-71.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/21/01 10:53:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Fredneck - SMLE Scope question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AntiqueDr - I could post a picture of the mount on my #4, Mk I if that would help any.

But what is a side mount?

AntiqueDr
    (10/21/01 10:55:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Fredneck - SMLE Scope question
    A side mount attaches to the left side of the receiver, not the top of the receiver. The problem as I understand it is that Fredneck's SMLE has been altered by milling the rear receiver ring. Depending on how that alteration was done, there may or may not be a conventional top mount available.

www.apaxenterprises.com

the real fredneck
    (10/22/01 9:48:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re:
    Morning Doc
    Thanks for posting this thread this question has been bothering me for a while, the problem with this one is that it's milled flat from the thumbcut to the rear of reciever no more receiver ring the whole upper side of bolt is exposed from front to rear also the barrel has been shortened (22") recrowned&contoured, reblued, weighs in at 6 1/2 lbs (plan on putting synthetic stock set on it some day that should drop another lb.) so the problem has been that there's not much to mount to on rear of receiver, figured Golden State probably made a base for it, the side mounts are made to clear a lot of space that ain't there on this one

AntiqueDr
    (10/22/01 12:12:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re:
    Ah. Probably would have to see a pic of that one... Possibly a scout-style mount?

www.apaxenterprises.com