Scope on a Remington Sportmaster 512?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Idempotent, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Idempotent

Idempotent New Member

I have a Remington Sportmaster 512. It's actually quite a nice rifle, and it's unusual in that it's a bolt-action with a tubular magazine. Right now it's entirely stock, with the original iron sights.

I'm thinking of putting a scope on it. I know the .22 LR doesn't have very good performance past 100 yards, but even at 100 yards, with the iron sights, I just can't do very well. I can basically hit the target, period, and that's about it. I don't know if it's my shooting technique, or that, at 100 yards, the target just appears so darn small.

So, does it make sense to put a scope on a .22 rifle to use at 100 yards? And if so, how would I go about doing that with this particular rifle? I will admit to being a complete novice when it comes to accessorizing my rifle. I don't think it's tapped for any scope holes, but maybe the rear iron sight is removable and a scope can go in there?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Idempotent

Idempotent New Member

Hrmm, well, the Wikipedia article does have some pictures, though I can take some more of my own if it would help. I guess not enough people are familiar with this gun to offer advice on it. Is there any generalized advice on scoping .22s that might help me?
  3. techoca

techoca New Member

That 512 is a fabulous old .22 rifle. I would not put a scope on it if it were mine. I would buy me a modern .22 for a plinker. I have a 511 Scoremaster that belonged to my Grandfather. My 511 was manufactured in October of 1945, just one month after the end of WWII. Mine is a tack driver! For what it's worth, that is my take.

If you wish to know the date of manufacture of your rifle I am attaching a couple of files to help you identify.

techoca

Attached Files:

4. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I HAVE ONE, BROUGHT IT TO A MACHINIST IN HARVARD ,MA AND HE GROOVED THE RECEIVOR FOR ME SO I COULD MOUNT A SCOPE. IT IS NOW A TACK DRIVER. MY RIFLE IS A 512 SINGLE SHOT TARGET MASTER.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I have a 512 also, though I would never dream of putting glass on it. I inherited it, and it will stay the way it came to me.

If you want a scope, I would suggest that you take it to a gunsmith. It shouldn't hurt too bad.