Scope or Red Dot for BL 22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tevroc, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Tevroc

Tevroc New Member

Scope or Red Dot for BL 22?

Hi, I am new to the group and glad to be here.

I just purchased a 1971 Browning BL22 and am looking for some advice.

I am bit over the hill with some not so good eyesight. Does anyone have recommendations for a scope? How about a Red Dot?

Thanks,

Pete
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Tevroc ! What are you going to be doing with the rifle? target or hunting or plinkier?
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Welcome Pete,
    As worm asked a lot depends on what you want to do with that Browning 22. Also a lot of personal preference and cost comes into picking an optic. Because of old eyes I too experimented with some red dots on handguns. A Burris FastFire and an inexpensive AIM. Well they are both off the guns and back in their boxes. They did perform as advertised. The main reason is the large size (diameter) of the dot. Most of the red dots have 3 to 5 MOA dot and while that is fine for fast pickup of handgun targets it is too large for fine target shooting as it covers too much of the bullseye. If you were shooting steel plates or other targets of that size they are great and fast. You can get red dots with a 1 MOA like the EOTech but you are talking $$$. I have gone to traditional optic scopes on my .22's and am in the process of mounting a Burris 4x scope on one of my Ruger pistols. Why? Well at present I am hung up on tiny groups and you just can't do that with red dots I can afford. The sky is the limit on scopes for a .22 from $25 to what ever the pocket book will stand. You do get what you pay for.

Gees, I got windy didn't I.
  4. Tevroc

Tevroc New Member

Probably a mix of all three, target, hunt and plink. I just want to make sure that my Grandson (24 year old grandson) does not shoot any better than me. Even if I got to cheat.

Thanks,

Pete
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You'll find plenty of advice here then !! :D:D

I'd recommend a good quality scope, Nikon makes a great rimfire scope for under $100.

What is your grandson shooting?
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Spend the extra few bucks and shoot Match ammo too!;) My dad, and granddad used to shoot match grade ammo, and leave me with off the shelf cheepos, when we went plink'n for an afternoon!!! It was the only way to get more consistent groups, but I figured it out... After about 10 years of this! Hahahaha!

Welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home, and lets see a couple pics of the Browning! We all like to drool every now and then! ;)
  7. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

I was going to start a new thread, but will continue this theme if you don't mind. I have a norinco atd 22 browning copy. My eyes too are getting a little old for the iron sights and I don't want a scope. I now like to plink spent shotshells off of pop cans while my son shoots the cans. I also enjoy rabbit hunting. I have been looking at two truglo open reflex red dots. (I also like green better than red) so am looking at a dual color. Anybody know anything about these or can make a similar suggestion for lesss money. I can't see paying more money than the rifle is worth. I think I gave less than $100 for it seems like 20 yrs ago.

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

I am also confused after reading about parralax at whether these with parralax correction at 30 yards is better than others at 50yrds. I have read different discussions that it is 30yards or farther is what this is corrected for and other places that say there will be issues farther or closer than 30
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

todd51 gacve you the story behind the story, nuff said1:)
  9. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

Most of the rabbit shooting I do would be lost on a scope. That is why I have enjoyed open sights. I am just having a hard time as I get older, especially in trees where there is less sun. It is close and quick target acquistion that is important as well as following a moving target. Perhaps I shall try a new thread as this does not answer my question. I don't want a scope, I want to replace my 1x open sights with an open field of few (open reflex) sight that is parrallax free from 15yrd to up to 100 yrds. I rarely plink or shoot greater than 50. The tg8380b from truglo looks about the best for my purposes, but the tg8360b is cheaper, bigger, and without the sun shroud. These, or just as good but less expensive, seem the best choice for me. I have only seen the 8360b in person...
  10. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

I did some research in other forums and other internet resources and settled on a Browning Buckmark Reflex sight. I will see how this goes.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  11. Airdale

Airdale Member

I think you'll be happy with your choice. I recently mounted a Bushnell red/green dot on a MKII and was really pleased how it aided my "maturing eyes" (never used a dot type scope before). I was torn between the "open style" and tube optic. I'd like to hear what you think of your Buckmark after you try it out.
  12. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Im a scope fan...But if you decide on a red dot, make sure you take it outside in bright sunlight to make sure the dot can be seen clearly...Many of the cheap-o red dots will fade in bright sunlight and you will not be able to see the dot, circle dot, crosshairs, etc...
  13. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

As my eyes started to get to where they did not like acquiring the iron sights, I went with a Truglo 2 power red dot scope(now have several of them) http://www.cgwgun.com/TruGlo-Multi-Color-Red-Dot-Sight__8030MB2.aspx
    I can tell you, just don't let the kids pick it up or you will have the same thing happen to me where my daughter picked up my rifle and proceeded to drill a hole right in the center of a spent 357 cartridge at 35yds. I can out shoot them as long as they use iron sights and I use my scopes.
  14. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

I looked at those too. I wanted to try an open reflex. Duke, I will let you know. Another reason for open is the atd-22 that it is going on. I want to keep it in the breakdown case. I can modify the scope mount I have to keep it on the barrel and not have a scope back over the receiver portion I hope.
  15. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

Got the Buck mark reflex today. The gunstore I ordered it from initially said browning had it in stock and 4 days later called to say it was back ordered. Ordered it from Fuddlebucks off amazon and got it in a couple of days. I wound up taking the barrel to a gunsmith today to get the rear sight out. He said that this was the hardest rear sight he had taking out in the thousands he has removed. He has been a gunsmith for probably 50 years. Got it mounted and hopefully will test tomorrow.
  16. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

Realized today that I never came back with review. The gun still breaks down well. The reflex tightened up groups very well for my old eyes. Nearly touching off hand groups of 3 at 25yards is good enough for me. I would say I was 1" to 1 1/2 groups prior to that withthe open sights. I would definitely buy again. The choices of different reticles is nice, but I just use the dot. This isn't an $800 reflex. Using the same cheekweld seems appropriate. Very accurate for me and the multiple brightness settings are great too. Overall nice quality and seems fairly durable.