1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Scope or Red Dot for Turkey Gun?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Powderhorn, May 29, 2009.

1. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about a scoped shotgun for taking turkey. I bought a Remington 870 Express Super Mag this year, and so far only open sights. Don't get me wrong, the open sights and ramp are fine, but I've been thinking of slapping a good scope on it.

I've also seen some guys with red dots or holo sights on theirs.

What do you guys like? Why?
  2. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

I'd use whatever you are comfortable with. Making the shot on a big tom is the easy part! Getting to make the shot is whats hard. :D With that being said, I love the Trijicon reflex sight with the amber triangle reticle. No batteries to fail, always on, bright light, dusk, no light, this thing just works! Try ebay or SWFA.com for best prices, they are expensive.

Chris
  3. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

4. Spearhunter

Spearhunter New Member

a fiber optic sight is most practical and simple. However, like you, I also wanted a scope on my turkey barrel. Given the distance you will be shooting at, a red dot sight or holo sight would be perfect. I use a red dot and the only concern I have is running out of juice when the time comes. You never know how long the wait is going to be so it's a tough call whether to keep it on or fiddle around when the time comes, assuming you get a chance to switch it on without being seen.
  5. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Turkey season ended yesterday. :(

I have the same fears as you about a red dot running out of power in the middle of the day or something. That's kind of why I am leaning to a good scope. The Bushnell banner shotgun scope wont break my wallet, and has a "turkeyplex" (?) reticle. Still, the Leupold scopes are so sweet. They have the raincoat lenses available too. Good to have.
  6. DKA

DKA New Member

Have Holo Red Dot on my 870 Super Mag. Great gear.
  7. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Powderhorn-

Sorry I didnt respond sooner...yes, that is the one! I have it on my deer and turkey guns, LOVE it. No batteries to go bad, always on in the dark or light. I use my turkey gun for home defense as well. I trust my life to that sight. Thier customer service is second to none, as well. Cant go wrong.

Chris