Scope question for .22 pistol

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by bladeprince, Nov 28, 2006.

1. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

Hello to all. I'm new to the forum and this is my first question. I have had a number of .22 pistols over the years but none of them ever had a scope. I just purchased the Ruger Mk III Hunter with fluted barrel. I would like to use if for small game hunting and possibly competition. I live close to the Olympic training center and they allow the public to practice a few times a week.

I'm considering the Leupold 8M-2x scope for this pistol. Is this a practical scope for this gun? Is the eye relief enough for off hand shooting? I know they do well on calibers like .357 and .44 mag but are they useful on a .22 pistol? I thought it might be useful for those 50-75 yard shots. Any comments or information appreciated.

Regards
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Blade
    A lot of the .22 pistol shooter like to use basic red dot and Eotech type scope which gives plenty of eye relief and the quickest sight picture.
  3. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

I didn't mention it but I am going to get one of those also. They seem like a nice scope. But I'm still curious about the Leupold. Other comments?

Thanks for responding, southern.
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Welcome,
    I have a Burris 2x scope on my S&W 8 and 3/8 inch 22 model 617-1 and I love it. It is definitely an AT&T (reach out and touch something) hand gun.
    But the I also have Burris 2-7 AO on a 357 mag and with a good rest it will shot some very nice groups at 80 yards. The 4x Burris on the Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag does a nice job as well. I like scoped hand guns I hate red dots, you couldn't give me one!!!!The scope you spoke of would be fine on your Ruger, just my 2 cents. I do think the Burris is a better scope by then I think a revolver is a fine hand gun so I may be cut from a different breed:rolleyes: ;)
    Ron
  5. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

Thanks Ron...
    I like revolvers too but I'm not a scope expert. I'll look at the Burris scopes also. Everything I read about the Ruger I bought was very positive. Supposed to be extremely accurate. I've never used a red dot so I don't know if I would like it or not. Your comments about them is valuable. I start with a 2x first. What sort of yardage and accuracy can you get with your model 617 and the 2x scope?

Regards
  6. EEEZNOW

EEEZNOW New Member

I have that scope now. It is currently not on a gun, but I used to have mine on a .44 mag. I then moved it to a Sig Trailside .22 pistol and I absolutely loved it!!!! It shot wonderfully and accurately. I might be getting into the maket for another pistol to put the scope to use.
  7. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

How was the eye relief? Could you hold the pistol at arm's length?

Thanks
  8. EEEZNOW

EEEZNOW New Member

It took a while to adjust. After the adjustments it was pretty neat. I would consider it a one person gun after that. It was hard for anyone else to shoot it.

It was suprisingly clear also. I wish I could put it on something else but I do not have another pistol that would work.
  9. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

Sorry to keep asking but could you hold it at arm's length or did you have to bend your arm(s) to get a full sight picture?

Thanks
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome EEEZNOW
  11. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

The scope will work at arms length no problem and a scoped pistol is a one man gun for sure.
    I would like to tell you that I can get a dime size hole or smaller at 50 yards with the 617 but I don't shoot as well as I did when I was younger, all I can get now is about a penny size hole off the rest and 11 cents off hand:rolleyes: ;)
  12. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

Thanks for the response. And I surely understand the age thing, more than you want to know.

Regards
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bladeprince: the scopes you want to look at will carry an "extended eye relief" label, as opposed to those labeled IER, or "Intermediate eye relief", which work best with 'scout' type rifles.
  14. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

For a rimfire you can save a few Bucks and ck' out the Bushnell Trophy series. they have a 2 1/2 and a 2X7 in blue and silverI think. I have a few on Contenders ,one on a 35Rem 14" and it has held up to the reciol of that.As to the red dots they are fun for plinking ,but for the size game you might be hunting with a 22 lr The dot is too large. most are 5 MOA that means it willc over 2 1/2" @ 5o yds. you can buy probably two of the trophy scopes for the price of one leuy. --JMJ--.
  15. teacherboy

teacherboy New Member

On my Buckmark I tried 2 red dots. I hated them both. I use the gun to shoot squirrels. The combination of no magnification and the fact that the dot covers the head of the squirrel was no good. I felt there was no field of view either. I also tried a 2x Tru-glo with 4 different reticles and 2 different colors. I couldn't stand it. I now have an old Simmons Gold Medal 2.5-7 on it. Haven't shot it yet but the field of view is substantially better and a lot more clear. Now all I have to do is save my pennies to by the Burris 2-7x to put on my 308 Striker now that the Simmons is off of it.
  16. bladeprince

bladeprince New Member

More great info...I thank you all.