Scope Reccomendation for H&K 416D?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BigD16, Oct 25, 2012.

1. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

Hey guys,

I just bought my brand new .22LR a few weeks ago. I ended up buying the Heckler and Koch 416D .22LR. I have kept it stock so far. The only thing I've done is added the grip to the front of it and put in an order for four 30 round magazines. I would really like to put a scope on it. I know some people say putting a scope on a .22 is useless or there's no point in putting one on it.... But I would personally like to have a scope on it. I would really like to hear everybodies opinions on scopes. What scopes do you have experience with? What do you like about it? What dont you like about it?

I have heard good things about the BSE Scopes, The TruGlo's, and The Tasco Scopes.... I have also heard mixed reviews on the Red Dots...

I am sure everybody will want to know what particular distance im looking for, Im going to take a guess and say anywhere from 100 to 200 yards.
  2. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

If you going to be shooting 100 to 200 yards you should not have bought a 22lr..
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Come on...I have a box of 22's that say "Be careful, Range 2 miles".

;) I was kidding...but it does say that.

100 yards is about as far I as I ever shoot a 22, usually 50 - 75.

Can't help you much with a scope. What's your budget? Are you shooting for accuracy or plinking for fun?

You bought a good gun, don't ruin it with a POS optic. No need to go high end on it either. Give me a few more clues so I can suggest something.
  4. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

Maine - Thanks for the informative response. Care to give me another one?

GunHugger - I dont really have a particular budget in mind... I dont want to go extremely cheap, but I dont want to go extremely high end either. Im doing a bit of both, Im just plinking for fun, But I would like something that is going to put me on track to hit what im aiming at.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

It would help to know what you will be using the rifle/scope combination for.

It hunting small critters, a Weaver V16 with the reticle of your choice will work great.

If you are target shooting and trying to hit a 1 inch target at 100 yards and beyond, a 6-24x scope works great. The Sightron SII Big Sky series a great mid range scope.

If a combination of the above, I would go with the Weaver V16.
  6. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

Im just looking for a good quality scope to do some target shooting as well as plinking from a distance.Where's the best place to start shopping around for scopes? As far as Stores and Online sites?
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  7. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

If your primary objective is target shooting, you will be extremely happy with a quality 6-24 scope.

You can save a little money over the Sightron and get a Weaver V24, it is cheaper but not as good as the Sightron.

For Sightron look here: http://www.manventureoutpost.com/cart.php

Some other places to look:
    http://swfa.com/default.aspx
    http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/scopes.html
    http://www.cameralandny.com
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/riflescopebesandtop.html
  8. GunHugger

So we are all on the same page here...

This is the gun.
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't want a large target scope on this type of gun ( a 22 rimfire ) in AR configuration. I would want smaller and lower in magnification.

If this was a target gun, yes to the big ones.

I would be trying to figure out which of these I would buy for a gun like yours.

Burris 3X Tac Sight $349
    http://swfa.com/Burris-3x32-AR-332-Tactical-Sight-P12619.aspx

Nikon 2-7x32 P22 Riflescope $179.95
    http://swfa.com/Nikon-P-22-Riflescopes-C4158.aspx

Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit $199.00
    http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-Kit-P47561.aspx
  9. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

The point was I do know a adequate scope for a 22 that one intends to shoot 100 to 200 yards. Ie there is no answer for the question asked. The only answer I could give that would be helpful for a person wanting to shoot things at 100 to 200 yards is to NOT buy a 22lr.

That aside if you shooting in distances the 22 will preform at then there ar many choices. I have a Leupold 4 to 12 on my squirrel 10/22 that works great and has been used to dispatch many a tree rat. I have a 6 to 24 on my appleseed 10/22 that I can drill holes at 50 yards with all day but is a bit much scope for hunting. I have a Eotech on my m16 22 upper that works great out to 75 yards and on FA can keep all the rounds on the target at 40 yards. I could list more but you get the idea. This choice depends on what your shooting and where to get the most out of the rifle. Thus now we have determined that we are NOT trying to shoot it out past 100 yards as first stated we need to know what we are shooting. with that rifle if you going to be plinking and fast shooting I would go with a quality red dot such as the Eotech as you can get very fast and accurate target acquisition.
  10. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

I apologize if my previous response to you seemed on the rude side. I have just dealt with an awful lot of peoples negative opinions about everything and anything on just about every forum im apart of lately (firearm and non related.). I have read alot of mixed reviews on the red dots, In your personal opinion, are they worth investing in? Im no gunsmith... But stupid question for you.... What exactly does a proffesional scope mounting and "Bore sighting" entail exactly? Again, I hate to sound stupid, But I would assume they will remove the stock sights and replace them with the scope?
  11. GunHugger

So...I can go ahead and delete my post above where I spent half an hour looking for good suggestions for you and posting links to each?
  12. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

A quality red dot will not only last but many today are "bullet proof" for the most part. For use on a 22 remember the smaller the moa dot the more precise you can get your shots on target. However you have to weigh that with a little bigger dot or dot ring combination can make target acquisition much faster.
  13. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

GunHugger- No you dont have to delete your post. Im taking all scopes and information on them into consideration.