Scope shot good but mount screws came loose

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

AGunguy
    (11/15/01 3:50:05 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Scope shot good but mount screws came loose
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Went to one shooting range and full up with deer hunters sighting in their smoke poles. Went to another range that I have never visited before, only two guys shooting there and they left shortly after I hauled out the AK 74 with its scope on it.

Put in a 10 shot magazine and started shooting at 100 yards outers target with 5.5 inch black bullseye with 2 3/4 inch orange 10 ring.

two shots went into the orange 10 ring, and five shots were in a three inch V pattern laying on its side in the black zone of the 5.5 inch area. The other three shots were slightly outside of the black zone about an inch.

While this is nothing to brag about, it is very good for my poor eyeballs and proves one isn't safe out at that 100 yard distance if they are nasty people.

After the first 10 shots, unbeknownest to me the damn mount screws on the stanchon came loose and later it became noticeable when it was found my accuracy had gone to poo poo status. Gun mounts and screws are going to require some Lock-tite on those parts. But I'm happy with the BEC Ultra Compact 3-9X42 scopeand expect to resolve the problems encountered. Neat little scope from CDNN and only $39.99 and overall length is 7.5 inches long.

Gunguy

BlackGun
    (11/15/01 6:33:59 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Scope shot good but mount screws came loose
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GG, I had the same problem with my Bean Shot lazer sights till I used "RED" Lock tite.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AGunguy
    (11/15/01 8:00:45 pm)
    Got them guns cleaned and ready for the next time, but will have to wait until this deer hunting feaver is over.

One thing about deer season, I really clean up on the .308 and 06 brass as the hunting dandies for the most part don't reload and just throw their brass on the ground or in the trash bins. I got over a half large coffee can full of the stuff today.

Yes, BG. Gonna stick the Red lock-tite to that freaken AK mount screws, hope it cures my problem the next time I shoot that gun. Man, those 30 round magazines just go on and on before you run out of ammo.

Gunguy

BlackGun
    (11/15/01 9:02:04 pm)
    GG! You make my heart throb!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

tuckerd1
    (11/15/01 9:08:57 pm)
    Yeah GG, YOU WILD THANG!!!

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/15/01 9:27:15 pm)
    All right AGunguy - glad you did well - sorry about the loose screws but at least you know that your gun, your scope and you still can shoot okay!!!

Hope you enjoy it more and more.

polishshooter
    (11/15/01 9:34:37 pm)
    Yeah, but there oughta be a RULE that all berdan stuff stay at one side of the range!

I was shooting some of the recently imported from Russia US WWII .45 hardball last Sunday, and couldn't believe I found all my brass so fast...until I noticed somebody had been shooting Wolf .45 crap at the same position and half my pick-ups were ugly green steel shiite.

Of course, the next guy shooting 9mm prolly thought he had a bonanza picking up all my shiny new looking 9mm brass until he found out it was berdan LARGO...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

AGunguy
    (11/15/01 11:54:21 pm)
    Dang, Polish. Sounds like your crowd stands around shooters benches with catcher's gloves on waiting to catch the hot brass before it hits the ground. I always ask people if they want to save their brass before I pick it up. Hee hee.

Anyone want to trade some .38 S&W or .45 Auto Rim brass for some .308 or 30-06.

Gunguy

TallTLynn
    (11/16/01 12:01:20 am)
    AGunguy - I'll start saving my .38 brass for you if you want it. And a lot of the people don't pick up their brass at the range so can shop around there as well.

AGunguy
    (11/16/01 8:58:07 am)
    Thanks, Tall T. Now that .38 S&W is the short stuff, not the .38 special. I've got a couple of guns that shoot that stuff.

Gunguy

TallTLynn
    (11/16/01 9:09:06 am)
    We'll see what we can find at the range for you - you'd be amazed how many people don't save their brass.