Scope Snob? Not me!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Kent Detective, Oct 25, 2010.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Not to hijack the thread but I went back and reread the thread and missed the one about Kent beating guys at the Skeet range with the Baikal...:p

My buddy belonged to a range and every time I was there we went to shoot Skeet, it's where I shot it for the first time, and also found out that I and my old '97 Winchester Riot gun weren't too bad at it.:p

But one time My buddy told me he had an old Savage 20 guage SxS and I told him to bring it I'd like to look at it, and before i left I threw a mixed box of 20 guage shells i had laying around from my son's first gun from when he was 9 about a decade and a half ago (mixed low brass 8s and high brass 6's)in my bag just in case.

At the range I fell in love with the beautifully stocked double, and after the old guy who owned the range checked it and told me it was "backwards," that the "wrong" barrel had the tighter choke, I offered my buddy $200 to take his "defective" gun off his hands (he declined:p) but anyway, he was getting ready to run a line on the trap range and he had an empty spot so I paid my $6 and walked to the line...

And shot 19 of 25! On my FIRST REAL go at Trap. I had fired at trap ranges before, but never a full 25, just occasionally between rounds, and even at that maybe three times in 40 years of shooting!

But what happened after was even funnier! The Owner had run the range and kept score, and I was the only shooter who stayed behind to help him pick up shells the other guys dumped DESPITE all the signs posted that sauid 'Please pick up your Empties!" and when everybody was out of ear shot he slapped me on the back and asked me if I saw the guy two stations down from me and I said yeah?:confused: and he said "He's a real @sshole. and he just spent $3000 on that custom 1100 trap gun, most of this brass we are picking up now is HIS, and he only shot 17! You beat him with an old field gun you never shot before with mixed cheap shells!" :p

He was ectatci, and after he "closed" he invited me and my frieind to stay behind, and about 5 of his closest buddies (INCLUDING us) then went back out and shot (Tried to shoot?) a round of Skeet with a Taurus Judge .410. his ammo, for FREE!:p My buddy got 1, I missed everything, the old guy got 10!:D

And I own a Baikal Makarov, that people look down on, but 9 times out of 10 when I carry, my .45 that i built and love stays home and the Makarov is on my belt...:cool: It WORKS!
  2. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

I have Leopolds (mostly 3-9x's) on my centerfires, but I never felt the need to spend that kind of $ on my rimfires. Some of these new scopes cost more than trucks I have owned!! They have Bushnell 4x Banners on them, and I have no idea how they track, because I haven't not moved the screws in years.
  3. fn19rs

fn19rs New Member

just noticed this comment! a British EX COPPER who is richer than anyone else on here?? very strange,know how poorly paid they are.
  4. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

Who says I wasn't a BENT copper! lol....:eek::eek::eek:

Wallowing in my retirement (I wish). I just hate seeing others wasting hard earned dosh on expensive scopes. It's normally the gun shops who convince newbies to procure expensive gadgets which are often not needed in the first place. :(

I guess I may even be a bit tight who knows. :D

Joking aside, Any money I happen to now have is nothing to do with the job. :rolleyes:

My mates in London (Met) are on average earning in the region of about £35,000 a year. Whatever way you look at this, £35k in today's climate is a pretty good wage. There are thousands upon thousands of people working very hard for less than £6 an hour which is an utter disgrace. No working person should be on less than £10 a hours and that goes for EVERYBODY. The money is out there but our political masters prefer to spend tax payers cash on dropping 2 million pound bombs on muslims (Libya).

I retired a few years ago after being badly injured (carrying out a deportation). I think that British police officers are indeed very well paid bearing in mind how ineffective the force (sorry service) has become. I blame poor management at Inspector level and above. Common sense seems to have flown out the window. Bad decisions are being made by bad coppers. I think Joe Public gets a very raw deal taking into account the amount of money most police authorities now get in Council tax (an open cheque book).

I joined the job in 1981 before all this "tick box", "League table" PC culture started. I saw REAL policing. We used to concentrate our resources on catching REAL criminals NOT going after easy touches such as the White Middle Class tax payers!

Rant over.......lol
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  5. fn19rs

fn19rs New Member

Looking at the 'scopes that are available from JS Ramsbottom over here,I have to admit that the Leapers 4-12x44 ( £122.49p)that I have is a better 'scope that the £259 that I paid for my MTC 6-24x56, it has clearer optics,works better than the MTC in low light conditions,and is easier to focus (both are side wheel focus models).I'm now thinking of selling the MTC and replacing it with a Leapers 4-16x56 at £137.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

I have been reading this thread for a goodly amount of time and I am just wondering why, if I should so desire to purchase a scope that is a name brand and expensive, would I be considered a scope snob? Just curious as I have guns that I bought cheap and guns that were expensive but would the expensive ones make me a gun snob or would the cheaply purchased guns make me ...what??? Personally I think that whatever you buy for whatever the reason shouldnt label you as a snob or anything else for that matter. This is just my opinion, take it or leave it depending if you are a snob or just a regular guy or gal.
  7. Kent Detective

The "Scope Snob" statement is used here "tongue in cheek". Just a little bit of English humour. I don't expect you chaps to always get it.... We may be close in other ways but our humour is slightly different. Here the class system rules supreme still. :D

Of course it's a free world (where we live) - If you wish to buy expensive gear it's perfectly okay. The point of this thread is to highlight the fact that the cheaper stuff often performs exactly the same as the expensive stuff. It may not always last as long but it does represent outstanding value for money...

Contrary to popular belief an airgun scope is all you need with rimfire. :eek:

Then there are the shooters out there who just enjoy "boasting" to others that they possess the most expensive gear available. It is these people I personally can't tolerate. :eek:
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Got you covered!:)
  9. Kent Detective

Over here in Britland I'm afraid class is still a real issue. :eek: Regardless of what you might hear (from politicians) the UK is still a very unfair place to live if you haven't the right connections and didn't go to the right school. Our Tory government is a case in point - almost all the cabinet are millionaires in their own right and 99% of them went to public schools. :eek:

A huge proportion of hardworking decent law abiding people are paid less than £6 a hour which in this day and age is an absolute disgrace. No one who works should earn less than £10 a hour. :)

The reason why I posted this thread is that I'm tired of all the gunshops selling expensive scopes to newbies starting out. The newbies are often given advice from sellers with a vested interest in selling the most expensive scopes. Anyone who knows about rimfire will tell you that AIRGUN scopes are all you need. These are designed to be zeroed at 50 yards and will put up with massive recoil from spring airguns.

Some of the scopes made in China are brilliant buys and are made almost as well as scopes costing 3 times more.

LEAPERS scopes is a case in point. Fantastic value for money. A mid-range leapers scope is as good if not better than some others costing £300 plus. FACT. :eek:

What the manufacturers aren't telling us is that a huge amount of so called "homemade USA/UK" scopes are actually put together here using Chinese parts. Then there are the companies who trade as USA/UK based companies yet sell re-badged Chinese scopes at huge markup.

EXPENSIVE doesn't always = good value for money.
    Get real and wise up chaps. :D
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011