Scope Training

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JohnK3, Jul 22, 2003.

1. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I took my 9-year old daughter to a rifle range, Sunday. While we were there, we worked with the owner of the range to try to train Katy. First, he put her behind an old Marlin bolt-action .22LR with a scope. We couldn't see any shots on the paper. Next, we tried a Ruger M77 Mark II in .223 Remington. Same problem.

While we both realized that the guns were a bit too long in the stock for her, she should have at least hit the paper at 100 yards. Discussing it with Chief, the range owner, we agreed that she's probably not getting a good sight picture.

Does anyone know of any decent software or images to help illustrate what the sight picture should look like? I get the impression she's still concentrating on getting the crosshairs on the target without getting the sight picture clear, with no black border and the crosshairs dead center of the circle of light.
  2. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Johnk3,while I do not know of any software programs for your daughter I would recomend either giving her an unmounted scope to try to get the picture with or take her to a gun shop and have them put a scope on a test stock those are usually short and go from there. Good luck
  3. shooter22

shooter22 Guest

What I have done in the past is to buy a desired rifle that will be a gun that I want to keep. Then buy a replacement stock and cut it down. as they grow, the original stock can be put back on.

Matter of fact, I have a nearly new Marlin Model 60 that is stainless steel barrel and receiver, with a laminated stock for sale. It has the original stock and a cut down stock. I had used this for myself as being a short fat guy in a wheelchair, I had the same trouble with sight picture. If interested let me know. I am going to get rid of it pretty cheap. I am asking $150. and I will ship to an FFL.