scoping a Browning challenger III

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by fubar, Dec 22, 2005.

1. fubar

fubar New Member

does anyone know if thay make a scope mount to fit it,,thanks
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

What exactly is it? Couldn't find it in a recent Gun Digest. B-Square makes a lot of mounts for different guns. Google them.
  3. fubar

fubar New Member

it is a 22 auto pistol by Browing
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Midway list's a mount for a Browning .22 auto-pistol. They don't use the "Challenger" description. You also might try the Browning website.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Is the pistol already drilled and tapped? If so, somebody's already making a mount. I'm not real familiar with your pistol, but it appears that the barrel, assuming the bull barreled version, is without taper, and slab sided.
    This being said, or even if you have the lighter barrel, any competent machinist can take a chunk of blank 'Weaver' base stock ( See Brownells), and contour the bottom to fit, then drill and tap the barrel.
    Another option might be to use a mount for a 1911 type pistol, one of those that puts a plate under the grip scale, secured by the grip screws, and cantilevers the mount over the slide; the plate would need to be re-drilled, and contoured for the Browning frame, but would not alter the pistol in any way. Seems like Pachmayr sold them, at one time.
    Hope this helps a bit.
  6. fubar

fubar New Member

no it's not..i wish it was
  7. res1b3uq

res1b3uq New Member

Tactical Solutions makes a top rail that replaces the sight rail on a Buckmark. Don't know if it will work on the challenger III or not. The screw holes are 4 inches apart, center-to-center.
  8. sarzak

sarzak New Member

browning make several models with a weaver rail. why mess with your challenger? you can find buckmarks cheap if you look around. i have both scoped and non scoped buckmarks and they are the best 22 pistols for the money.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I would agree that the Challenger is too valuable to be drilling holes in it or modifying it, as that will totally kill its value to a collector and it is a collectable. These were beautifully made, accurate, great guns from the past. There are many modern guns that will take a "scope" with little adation required. Save the Challenger for a collector or shoot it open sights on days when you feel good about shooting open sights.

LDBennett
  10. Sig9

Sig9 New Member

why is there so little information on the browning challenger III pistols? i just got one 2 weeks ago for a song and i haven't been able to find hardly anything on them on the forums. they are truly one of the most beautiful pistols made imho. mine is the 6 3/4 tapered barrell and shoots one ragged hole groups.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010