Scoping a S&W M29-2

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Norman Dog, May 4, 2004.

1. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

I have a M29-2 with an 8-3/8" barrel that I want to mount a scope on. Are the "non-gunsmithing" scope mounts worthwhile? If so, which one is best?

I'll have it D/T if I have to. The revolver does not have much collector value since, sometime in its past, it rusted bad enough to become pitted and has since been smoothed out and refinished.

What do you all think?
  2. ACC

ACC New Member

Norman Dog:
    I drilled and tapped my 625 with weaver rails and low mounts,on the top strap it's real sturdy, and there's no screws that you have to keep tightnin on those no gun smithin mounts. Just my 2cents worth.
  3. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

I wondered if a “no-gunsmithing” mount would be sturdy enough to stand up to the recoil of a .44 Mag. I may just go ahead and have the revolver drilled and tapped.
  4. Ronald J. Snow

Ronald J. Snow New Member

I have sold a couple of the B-Square, no drill, scope mounts and they were both returned after only a few shots. They did not stay in place. One was on a 629 (luckily) as the gun was scratched when the mount departed the firearm. I would have a firearm drilled and tapped if I wanted the scope to stay on.
  5. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to just have the revolver drilled and tapped. It seems that whenever we use an "alternate easy-to-do-at-home" method, we are compromising and get less than perfect (or even less than acceptable) results.

Thanks for the inputs!