Score one for the good guys!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wookie810, Aug 30, 2012.

1. wookie810

wookie810 New Member

I haven't posted on here in quite a while, but I figured this would be a feelgood story for all who read it on this forum. Even in the most violent city in the United States (per 2011 FBI statistics), where the bad guys outnumber the good, a well trained good guy can stand up and turn a horrible situation into a less horrible one! The link to the original article plus a few follow ups below the story.

FLINT, MI -- Keith Held says is son is a hero for saving his friends from two suspected armed robbers early Sunday morning. Held's son, who was recently discharged from the Marines, shot and critically injured a man who, along with a second suspect, tried to rob a group of party-goers at gun point.

The incident occurred around 1 a.m. on the 3300 block of Clairmont Street, a neighborhood of modest homes with tidy lawns on the city's west side.

Held, who lives next door, said his son and a group of friends were having a fire behind his son's house.

The group saw shadows around the home. Thinking it was recently-arriving friends trying to play a joke, Held's son jumped the fence into his parent's yard and came around the front of the home to try and sneak up on his friends.

However, it wasn't invited guests, but two people looking to rob the party.

"Hit the dirt," Held said the suspects told party-goers before pistol-whipping his son's roommate.

His son quickly went inside, loaded his Ruger 9mm pistol and put it in his pocket as the suspected robbers brought the guests back into the home to try and get valuables.

When one guest told the alleged thieves that his wallet was in his truck, the suspects, Held's son and the guest went out to the truck in front of the home.

The guest searched the truck, at gunpoint, and the suspected thieves began to threaten the two verbally.

Fearing the worst, Held's son opened fire on one of the suspects who was standing outside of the truck, shooting him twice in the chest.

Both suspects ran off to a getaway car a couple blocks away before being apprehended at the hospital, according to Held. Police confirmed the second suspect was in custody.

"My son was quite the hero that day," Held said. "He saved all his friends."

Held added that his son used good judgement by waiting to shoot until he was outside of the home.

"He didn't want to pull the gun and start firing away with all his friends there," Held said.

Held's wife, Deb, said she didn't even know there was trouble until she heard shots and her son ran to her house.

"Mom, I just shot someone," Deb Held remembers her son saying.

Now, her son is staying elsewhere as he considers moving out of the neighborhood, according to Keith Held.

"They're all shaken up," he said.

Link: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/ind...s_son_saved_friends.html#incart_river_default

If you bother to visit the link (and check out the comment section), you'll see how po'ed the community around here is that these punks think they can get away with everything! Anyways it's always nice to see these types of stories around. I think it gives insight into how a bad situation can be changed by one of us good guys using our right to defend ourselves.:)
  2. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

wow, quite a story, thanks for sharing.
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

:thumbsup:Things like this seem to be happening more and more. Good guys with guns taking care of business...Gotta love it:thumbsup:
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good story with a happy ending.

The New York police should take a chapter out of his book.
  5. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Glad to see the dirt-bags getting educated .... I live just about equal-distance from Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Flint .
  6. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

Great story. But, it brings up the lack of power of a 9mm for defense. Two in the chest and he ran away? 9mm may give more rounds, but the lack of power and being such a fast round really is not a plus side for its caliber.
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I would prefer a .45 or a desert eagle .50 What about you?
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm right in there with you. Great story, and a good ending! Yet, I carry a .45 because I believe it will do a better job of "stopping" than any other caliber, except for the really large Magnum calibers. I would rather have a 12ga shotgun, but they are hard to haul around all the time! And I noticed that he had to go get his gun, and then load it!
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. wookie810

wookie810 New Member

The sad part of this story is that this man is going to need police protection to move out of his house because this thug's family and friends that are looking for retribution. The news gave his name and address (the victim) on the local tv news station and the police told him for his sake that he should leave his home and his belongings unless he wants to be further victimized! And this isn't the first time it's happened. It seems like it's the media's play (has happened in every case I've seen) in these cases. And the worst part about it is they haven't released any information about the third suspect (that wasn't even mentioned until days later) that is still at large! Heck they haven't even released information that is required to be released by law about either of the people they have in custody! Not to mention that my tax dollars are being used to keep the one that is in critical condition alive! What a mixed up world that we live in!