Scored on a Uncle Mike's Reflex Holster for my SR1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 76Highboy, Jul 9, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Today I was telling a customer of mine that I just purchased a new Ruger SR1911. Me grinned at me and went over and pullad a new Uncle Mike's Reflex Holster out of a box and gave it to me. He has some irons in the fire in the gun world and has access to many things like this. I was caught off guard by his gesture and very grateful. My job is great because most of my customers are gun guys.

Attached Files:

2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Highboy check out the Galco King Tuck Holsters. Man are they comfortable. Congrats on the Ruger, Mine was accurate right out of the box.
  3. 76Highboy

Thanks JUNKKING.
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Youre welcome Highboy. The only thing I didnt like about my Ruger 1911 is the checkering on the grips is deep and it really did tear my hand up. Not to the point of bleeding but to the point of being uncomfortable. As soon as I figure out where my life is going due to having to have to retire I am going to talk to Carl and see about a new set of grips for it. The problemt here is Carl has so many different woods to choose from I dont know where to begin. If you desire to change your grips talk with Carl he is a great guy and spent quite awhile on the phone with me suggesting what woods would look good and directing me to pages on his site to see the pictures.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like rough grips. When your hands are sweaty, your gun wont slip. I have several 1911s with aggressive grips and I wouldnt change them. But, everyone is different. Alot of people put skateboard tape on their frontstraps for added grip along with the grips and then some guns have aggressive checkering on the mainspring, frontstrap and grips.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  6. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Agreed DD but these seem like they are cut too deep on the checkering and are really pointy like holding a jagger bush in your hand. I have some grips for my sig that I had to add sticky stair tread to the front strap for that purpose that you mentioned.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

u can always change the grips
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I just have a leather Bianchi OWB holster.
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If you want smooth grips, find some off of a Rock Island GI. Either that or I'm sure Woodnut can hook you up :-D
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Copied and pasted from my above post.

As soon as I figure out where my life is going due to having to have to retire I am going to talk to Carl and see about a new set of grips for it. The problemt here is Carl has so many different woods to choose from I dont know where to begin. If you desire to change your grips talk with Carl he is a great guy and spent quite awhile on the phone with me suggesting what woods would look good and directing me to pages on his site to see the pictures.
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

How are you likeing the holster so far Highboy?
    Looks good wih your Ruger and looks to be well fit, I like that type.
  12. 76Highboy

It's nice, but it's not leather. I have a friend that makes holsters and he is designing a new one so he is going to let me guinea pig it. I will post some pics of it.
  13. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Only bad thing about the hard plastic holsters, is that they scratch the finish up on even a SS gun. Not deep scratches just marring scratches. I just bought a SS1911 and had to redo the finish because of a holster like this was used for the gun. Is to refinish a SS gun. Would not want to use it on a blued gun for sure.

P.S. Love the Ruger
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012