Scout test- FAILURE

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Apr 1, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Thanks X. I wish I would have remembered helicoils BEFORE I drilled out the sight base, oh well. No great loss.

I remember the guy who built my race engine used them a few times, and we also used them on equipment a lot at the paving company, when the hired help hamfisted bolts and plugs on equipment...which happened fairly regularly, especially the day after payday IF they showed up for work... :cool:

Hey X? I'm still rather new at this threading tapping business, every tap I bought individually so far (TWO :cool: ) came with the corresponding drill, is there a chart anywhere for proper drill size for which size taps?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hey Polish, try this one!

IPT

http://www.shender4.com/thread_chart.htm
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yep Tex.....that oughta do it.

The big problems with threaded aluminum parts (and steel screws) is vibration and heat. Vibration will loosen the steel/aluminum interface in a hurry......and heat is even worse, since aluminum and steel expand and contract at different rates.

If you're looking a nice, tight interface of aluminum to steel, as in an aluminum scope mount to a steel reciever, held on with setscrews, helicoil is the only way to go.