1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Scout test- FAILURE

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Apr 1, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Thanks X. I wish I would have remembered helicoils BEFORE I drilled out the sight base, oh well. No great loss.

I remember the guy who built my race engine used them a few times, and we also used them on equipment a lot at the paving company, when the hired help hamfisted bolts and plugs on equipment...which happened fairly regularly, especially the day after payday IF they showed up for work... :cool:

Hey X? I'm still rather new at this threading tapping business, every tap I bought individually so far (TWO :cool: ) came with the corresponding drill, is there a chart anywhere for proper drill size for which size taps?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hey Polish, try this one!

IPT

http://www.shender4.com/thread_chart.htm
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yep Tex.....that oughta do it.

The big problems with threaded aluminum parts (and steel screws) is vibration and heat. Vibration will loosen the steel/aluminum interface in a hurry......and heat is even worse, since aluminum and steel expand and contract at different rates.

If you're looking a nice, tight interface of aluminum to steel, as in an aluminum scope mount to a steel reciever, held on with setscrews, helicoil is the only way to go.