Scrap yard find!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mb1, May 10, 2012.

1. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

I was at the scrap yard today looking for some steel channel and square tube to build a small trailer. I go strolling through the yard once in awhile first, because the closest steel supply yard is a 40 minute drive, and second you just never know what you'll find. As I was walking I looked down and I saw this little black knob hanging out of metal box. I reached down, pulled it out and there was a Hornady/Pacific 007 press attached to it. I was dumfounded. It is a little dirty and could use some grease but it works and the linkage is tight. I have been reloading for a couple of years but only on progressive presses. I have two Lee Loadmasters 9mm and .45. I also have a RCBS press and all the kit that goes with it and dies for half a dozen cartridges, but other than the tumbler, scale, and calipers I haven't used any of it yet. It was given to me from my wifes grandfather. So back to the junkyard find. As you can see in the pics I found the press(I know what it is) and it has a die (it says "RCBS PP Swager 91" but no caliber marking) and what looks like an anvil of some kind. Can someone educate me as to what these parts are? I have the dies (from the Grandfather) and I am going to start reloading a few rifle cartridges and maybe a few others, if this is anything I can use I will, if not I will give it up for some one who can. One other thing what is the little silver aluminum thing on the side of the press?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

you're lucky day
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i bet u can find a lot of good stuff at the scrap yard
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Nice find! If you decide to get rid of the swageing stuff and we find out what size it is i would be intrested.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The PP Swager die is a primer pocket swaging die. Used to remove the crimp from military brass. The "shellholder" that you've got pictured next to it is the punch that does the swaging, and the rod in the die is adjustable so that it supports the inside of the case head.
    Normally, the set comes with punches for both large and small primers. The one that you have looks to be the small primer punch.

And nice find on the 007 too! That's a good solid press and definitely worth hanging onto.
    The aluminum block is the holder for the auto-feed primer tube. Your press is missing the primer ram. BUT...you can still get these parts from Hornady if you would want to get the press complete again.
    As-is, it's still perfectly functional except for the priming arm feature.
    Look at their current Lock-N-Load Classic press and you can see what the complete setup should look like. http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Classic-Loader/
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As Bindernut said, that's a Primer Pocket Swager.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/13026

It's normally a six-piece set. The die body, two center rods, two swager bases and the knock-off cup. One rod is 30 caliber and is used for 30 carbine, 308 and 30/06, along with 9mm and 45. The 22 caliber rod is used for 223. The cup sits over the ram, upside down, so that the teat sticks out the hole. The case goes up into the die body, the center rod acts as an anvil while the teat swages the crimp away. The case is now stuck to the teat, but when the ram is fully lowered, the upside-down cup strikes the press frame before the ram is fully lowered, and holds the case while the lowering ram pulls the swaging teat out of the pocket.

Neat little gizmo.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  8. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

Thanks for the info guys. Doubly sweet find because I have a mess of once fired military brass in .223.
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member