1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Scratches on Stainless...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by glocknut, Sep 11, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I have one pistol in brushed stainless that every time i take it out and fiddle with it i find a new scratch on it. A different pistol "colt commander" that does not scratch at all. But this one i am talking about will scratch so so easily....

Are some finishes softer than others? Anyone else have a gun that seems to scratch easier than others?

mike
    gn
  2. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

There are different types of stainless steel (and some have coatings over them ...).

There are some other ways to get rid of scratches: (1) use Flitz (or diamond paste - Gesswein.com part number 216-9078, etc.) and a cotton cloth to clean up some minor scratches from a stainless steel . Applying some Flitz...letting it dry...rubbing it out with the cloth...repeating.... (2) use white rouge (comes in a large crayon looking stick) with a Dremel and the polishing pads (you do need to be cautious with how much pressure you apply on the buffing wheel.), (3) Scotbrite pads - Red is course, gray is fine.

WARNING: SATIN FINISHED or BEAD BLASTED Stainless will end up polished bright if you use metal polish to remove scratches. DO NOT use STEEL WOOL on a STAINLESS gun.

Scratches, Holster rub marks, etc are just character marks of a well used gun.

This is just my (and that of others) experience, but a lot depends on the type of stainless, etc.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  3. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Glocknut,

I used to have a pre-loaded Springfield Champion that seemed to have a softer grade of stainless steel. I have always used the purple/maroon Scotch Brite Pads on my brushed stainless finishes. It works great and they are fairly cheap. I buy mine at a local NAPA auto parts store or anywhere they sell automotive paints. Here are a couple of my guns I have used them on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

eh, I wouldnt sweat it too much, scratches add character and prove the gun is a shooter. I dont own a single gun that doesnt have at least a dozen scratches on it, and I always get complimented on how nice my weapons are at the range. Mine are well used, accurate and reliable, cleaned thoroughly after each use and put away well lubed...;)
  5. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Those pics look nice. :D:D:D
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't like scratches... Yuck.

mike
    gn
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

PS

Thanks Everyone!

mike
    gn
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

Mike, if you place your gun in one of those fleece lined gun rugs and never take it out of your safe and go shoot it, it will never, never scratch.:D

Ron

Ps: tex45acp, that was very informative, I will have to try that.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have used the green ScotchBrite pads sucessfully but never used the purple ones. I used light pressure and worked slowly. I'll have to pick up a purple pad to have on hand. Thanks for the tip. :)
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yeah.... :rolleyes:

mike
    gn
  11. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Mike, I have found that these work the best for removing scratches in a stainless finish, & won't round sharp edges like a Scotch-brite pad. They come in thin, flexible pads, & thicker, 1in. foam blocks. I own 8 or 9 in med. & fine grits, & bought a couple that have a beveled edge (knife edge) on 1 side, that has come in handy several times!!

Geeze!! I just remembered...:rolleyes:.... you can buy them in the painting / hardware section @ wally world!! :p

They're the cat's meow as I like to say...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...A9E023IJD0GR3O74_nid=2ZJ73H7V2CbeS1HF20LRQWgl

Stainless steel or CRES (Corrosion RESistant steel) comes in two main grades:

300 series Austinetic CRES (non-magnetic) Very corrosion resistant & retains it's strength in high & low temp. applications.

400 series Martensitic CRES (magnetic) Contains chromium and no nickel. Harder than 300 series cres because it can be heat treated, but will rust in a worst case scenerio. Ever seen a knife blade made out of 440 stainless? ;)

On top of all that, investment cast stainless steels will be a little softer than billet or forged steels (due to work hardening), & will scratch a little easier. I'll have to check my Colt combat commander w/a magnet & see if it is 300 series or 400 series. You can work-harden 300 cres by cold-rolling it, & I'm thinking the slide of a Colt has rolled emblems so maybe that's why they don't scratch as easily. ;)

Hope that answers your question. (in a nutshell! :p)

SR :)
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

In Wal-Mart or a dollar store, there are those little smooth foam pads in the cosmetic area that women use to buff their nails.

It's not a file. It is smooth, like foam. I think they cost about a dollar.

If you lightly buff a brushed or bead blasted SS finish, those things will quickly remove scratches.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'll give it a try. It couldn't be any worse than it allready is... Oh boy... have i EVER said that before!!! :rolleyes:

The finish on this one scratches soo much easier than anything else. Just doesn't seem right?

mike
    gn