Screwed up screw heads

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Doc R, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Doc R

Doc R New Member

Have a shotgun that previous owner/owners used taper headed srewdrivers on instead of hollow ground. Result is screwed up screw heads. All of the heads are engraved and gun is European so replacement might be impossible.
    Can I clean up these heads with special files without damaging the engraving? Any ideas would be appreciated. I have had some gunsmith training so I know how to use tools but I have never had this problem before.
  2. John Kay

John Kay New Member

Doc,
    You can't replace metal that was taken out, but you can move the metal back into the slot, somewhat anyway, by CAREFULLY peening the metal back into the slot as best you can without disturbing the engraving. This will leave you with an irregular slot. Set the screw head up vertically and using a slightly larger mill saw (on center) than the original slot, clean out the peening. You say you have some smithing knowledge so this set up shouldn't be too difficult for you. This is about the only chance you have other than replacing the screw to match. This procedure will leave you with a slightly larger slot, hoping that the master gunsmith that buggered up the slots in the first place didn't really decimate them.
  3. Doc R

Doc R New Member

Thanks John for the advice. They boogered them pretty good but I feel I can improve them somewhat. I'll try your recommendation. I was going to try some screw slot files but I can only find those that cut deeper (safe sides). The depth isn't the problem it's the boogered up slot lips. thanks again.
  4. John Kay

John Kay New Member

Doc,
    Be careful that you don't "hourglass" the slot using files. It's real easy to do. Also you can make a pillar file by putting the edge of the file on a sanding disk. Take care
    John