screws are stripped

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by uliboy97, Sep 10, 2012.

1. uliboy97

uliboy97 New Member

I have a marlin 989 m2 and i removed the receiver from the stock,then I was going to take it apart to get to the bolt, in order to get to the bolt I had to remove 4 screws which are all stripped, what do i do?
  2. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Are the screws stripped or are the holes? If the screws are missing material you can run a cleanout tap or bottoming tap and get new screws. If the screws are only messed up you can run a die on them and put them back in with loc tite blue or red
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If the screws are all thats messed up just get new ones. Dont have to be specific to the rifle, just the right head and the right thread pitch.

If the holes are stripped out you'll have to clearance drill and re-tap to the next size up and go with bigger screws. i.e. stripped 6-48 then go to 8-40, etc.
  4. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

if the holes are striped instead of going to next larger inch sized screws,,,, try metric instead,, can usually just tapp without having to drill larger hole,, i use this all the time for repair on lots of items,,,just have to remember which hole is which. and u dont usually have to worry about clearence problems by going to a larger screw (or bolt)
    works great on old motorcycles and cars also.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If only the screws are stripped, Gun Parts Corp. (www.gunpartscorp.com) has them. They may be under Glenfield Model 70 or Model 995, which are the same thing.

I strongly advise against trying to take that mechanism apart. Clean it with a sonic bath or application of spray.

Jim
  6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

Plenty of sage advice here , I've nothing to add !
  7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I can pretty much guess that the 4 screws he's talking about are the screws on the sideplates of the assembly...
    as well as the two action/stock screws...a fair amount of folks completely go nuts tightening those...which will strip 'em fast...
    On the action/stock screws, it is often a case of doing a D/T to the next size screw...which solves the problem,
    then you just Cold Blue the screwheads so they won't screw up the look. (Don't Cold Blue 'em ON the rifle...)

Have to admit, love my 989-M2, wish Marlin would come out with the m-1 style stock & handguard again... :)
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012