SCREWS!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/16/01 2:04:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All SCREWS!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Need to find screws. Grip screws. Got several guns that I have replacement grips for (Vintage Grip Co. in Florida - they are great!), but I need screws! Grip Screws! 1914 Paramount, Ruby, Astra Model 200.

Can anybody out there screw me?

Now that just don't sound right. Let me rephrase that - anyone have a source for grip screws for old Spanish pistols?
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Xracer
    (6/16/01 2:55:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: SCREWS!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob....try a large hardware store or machine shop supply house that has a good assortment of small pan-head metric machine screws. Take along the frames and grips and just try fitting them 'till you get the ones you want.

You can cold-blue them later.

Edited by: Xracer at: 6/16/01 3:57:39 pm

polishshooter
    (6/17/01 1:05:58 pm)
    Bob, once I tried to rebuild an old Dixie GW .31 BP revolver that I picked up in pieces at Friendship.

It was about 30 years old made in Spain.

Deer Creek Products, Waldron, IN. could supply me with EVERYTHING but the screws, said the Spanish Gunmakers many times used their own proprietary thread and diameter screws, non-standard, for who knows what reason, they said my best bet was to redrill holes and retap to a standard size.

Don't know if this applies to the Eibar guns or not...

Done right, no one might notice, BUT...

Bob In St Louis
    (6/17/01 5:39:47 pm)
    I think you are right. I have tried a couple different metric screws that looked right, they just don't go. I am also kinda hesitent to go strolling into the hardware store with a sack full of guns - even stripped down to just the receivers. Too many prudes in the world.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

gun runner john
    (7/7/01 4:24:44 pm)
    If all else fails, you could have them made. I have a Browning 1900, and when I got it, one of the breechblock screws was missing. I had a friend with a lathe turn out the screw, and now that I've blued it, you can't tell it from the original, except it's a bit nicer. I'm thinking of rolling it around in my driveway to give it the "aged" appearance of the other screw.