Scrufflin Hillbillies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big ugly, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I wanted to take the time to mention to all the older gntleman especially from the Tennessee,Kentucky and Norhtern Ga. One of the original members from the Scrufflin Hillbillies passed away late last month. Shorty Barns was the original Cousin Jeb, (the short one) passed from Lou Gerrigs Disease. He was a joker and very kind hearted man and passed in peace. I am posting this pice for information purposses. My wife was wondering if any of you might remember seeing them wrestle back in the late 60's early 70's and was hoping to get a story or two from anybody who was able to see these guys wrestle. She is trying to put together some info for her family. We have some old photos of him performing but very few stories.
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Ugly,
    Where ya been hidin? I live just up the road in Halls.

I remember seeing them ‘battle’ the ‘Mysterious Medics’ in several awesome tag-team theatrics when I was a child in Knoxville, Tennessee. The Medics had blown into town a short while before, wearing white ‘medical garb’ - complete with masks, (hence the ‘Mysterious’). The Medics were the first in this area to adapt a ‘theme’ approach to their craft, and were often depicted as ‘bad guys’, who were able through the use of ‘illegal items’ and ‘blind’ referees, to dominate all of the local favorite ‘good-guy’ teams.

As I remember, after a few weeks of this ‘build-up’, the ‘Scufflin’ Hillbillies’ appeared, complete with straw hats and overalls, and were the only tag-team that could ‘compete’ with the Medics, always ‘playing fair’, of course. A favorite antic involved the non-participating Hillbilly lying on the top ring rope, resting his head on the pole at the turnbuckle, in a relaxed mode that would ‘infuriate’ the non-participating Medic, much to the amusement of the roaring crowd.
    :) :) :) :)
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

We thank you for the story, if you have others or know some one who has others we would like to hear them. Shorty was my wifes grandfather and he was known for "tickling his apponents with his bare feet".
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I remember the 'foot tickle' now! (Laughing!)
    That team brought our family many happy hours (esp. my grandmother!) both at the field house and while watching the local TV station (channel 10, I think).