The Firearms Forum banner

SD Carry Weapon.

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Guts3d 
#1 ·
Which do you think is best big bullets as in .45 ACP, or more bullets as in the double stack .380's, and 9mm's? Tell me what you like, and why.

#2 ·
depends..if comfort is more desirable then the smaller weapon would be my choice. Even if it was only a single stack. After all I can carry extra mags and have no desire to act as if I am in a war.

now on the other hand IF I thought I was entering a dangerious situation..(Having no other option, but to go there) then I would want the proven stopping power of at least the 357mag or 45, either lc or acp. as stated I can carry extra mags or ammo..Although the ACP would be a much faster reload even over my revolver clips..but not by much.

#3 ·
Always favored a big bore. With a projectile of 200 grains or more you don't have to wonder if you brought enough gun. I say that even though I don't hold to it and carry a little LCP when I do carry. Convenience and comfort over rides my true preference.

#4 ·
I'm going to break the rules and choose C

I think what's best is what you will be ABLE to carry with you, concealed ( if needed ). Your gun won't do you any good if you can't carry it.. no matter how big the bullets are or how many you have. If your 50AE is under the seat of your truck because it's too big to carry, and the double stack 9 is next to it for the same reason, but your single stack 380 is with you in the dark alley when the guy rounds the corner and threatons your life.. then that's the gun you want.. the one that's with you becuase you CAN carry it.

I'm sm to sm med framed, have to wear tuck in shirts and no jackets where i work. concealment is a tough issue.. thus i am limted to 'pocket' type guns.. like a keltec P3AT and the similar guns to that. In the winter or out of the office i MIGHT get away with my sig P238

simply can't fit a 45 or 9 single or double stack in a good enough place that won't significantly print. And with my dress code and carry options. A wallet holstre for that p3at makes it immediately available, vs something awkward like thunderware trying to dray a gun , pulling my pants down to do so....

When i exercise and have just a tshirt and light jogging shorts on.. the waist band can't support anything heavy and pockets can't support anything flopping around while moving. so it's back to something small.. for that time i use a keltec P32 in a ziplock baggy to protect it from sweat. My biggest threat when walking is dogs and occasionaly coyotee but on rare occasion we get strangers stroll thru the area.. got to have something with ya....

#5 ·
Best for my wife's CC - single stack 9mm
Best for my CC - usually a double stack in something not listed above (.40)
Best for my OC - Not listed above
Best for my home defense - Not listed above

I love my 1911 and wouldn't hesitate to use it if need be, but too heavy and rustable to carry. When reduced to CC size and weight I'm not wild about the low velocity and round count of a 45. I did buy and try out a Glock 26 (9mm) and found the recoil very manageable, so light in fact that I sold it and got a Glock 27 (.40). That was my personal choice for CC based on a personal willingness to lose one round count in my magazine in exchange for a heavier bullet of large diameter that still flies at a decent velocity.

Personally I would only get a 380 in a small package such as the S&W Bodyguard, but for my grandmother I might suggest a larger round count as best for her.

#7 ·
Target ammo was hard to get there for a year or so, but in the past several months it has become readily available. SD ammo hasn't been much of an issue, though it can be a pain to find exactly what I want.

Availability on 9mm/40/45 has all been about the same. Good luck to anyone with a 380, 357 Sig, or 10mm.

#8 ·
Generally speaking I favor a 45 which is at my bedside, a full sized 45 plus at spare mag. But when I carry, I choose a few extra rounds because I can only imagine in a highly tense situation, shot placement will be a challenge. My primary CC is a XD sub 40, plus a spare (extended) mag.

Soundguy, makes an excellent point "...what you will be able to carry...". Sometimes all I can conceal is my LCP which is the last gun I want to get in a fight with but it's better than throwing rocks.

#10 ·
ditto that entire post.

by my bedside is a 45acp for sure. and yep. I wouldn't WANT to be in a gunfight with my P3At, as it is IMHO.. a 'holdout' weapon. but as you say. it is better than yelling insults and throwing rocks!

#15 ·
Thank you all for your comments. I have started carrying a Taurus PT 58 HC PLUS, it comes with two 19 round magazines that I can stuff 20 rounds into, plus one in the pipe. 21 rounds is a bunch, and I carry the spare. However, I'm concerned about stopping power of the .380. I know that if I had to shoot it at someone, there will be 3 - 4 rounds fired. That leaves me with enough ammo for several more BG's before reloading. I have almost always carried a .45ACP with an 7 round mag, and 2 spares. 8 bullets total = 4 BG's at 2 bullets each. The more bullets I have to put on a target to get it down, the more time I spend with that one target. However, I can shoot the Taurus faster due to lower recoil. And don't tell me that the .380 round won't break bones, that's just not true. I load the Taurus with alternating ball ammo, and quality SD HP ammo. Ballistic gel tests show around 10" of penetration with HP ammo, and up to 14" of penetration with ball ammo (bone breakers). The Taurus weighs in at 2 lbs. 4.6 oz. fully loaded, and the 1911 weighs in at 2 lbs. 13 oz., That's about 6.12 oz. difference in weight. I can carry either with equal comfort. Which would you choose, and why?

#16 ·
Personal defense? The 9mm. That amount of rounds, still less weight and easier to shoot? No question!

The only consideration, for me, is over penetration. Hit your target.

The ammo debates are all relatively pointless.

Fact is, I wouldn't want to stand in front of any size bullet. Thats just me though.

#17 ·
I open carry a lot, so concealment is not an issue. I carry Tupperware ( Sorry, non Glock fans! ) A Glock 21 in .45 holds 13 rounds plus the one in the pipe. I doubt that I'll need more than 27 rounds, and if I do, I'll need a lunch to eat while firing off that plethora of rounds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.