Sealing shot shells

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I have a 20, 12, .410 reloaders. I have often wondered about not fully crimping the shell, but lightly crimping about half way and filling the rest with wax or parafon.

Will the wax coat the barrel before the shot or slug goes out?
    Could it cause any problems loading into the chamber?
    I ask a question earlier about shortening the case to around 2".
    Again I know it is a dumb idea, but, I want to get the comments of people that have been reloading for several years. I have only been reloading about 5 years and still have alot to learn..

Thanks in advance..
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Why?
  3. scrat

scrat New Member

A crimp on a shotgun shell is pointless and useless. Only reason you have a crimp is so the shot doesnt run out. Old school shot gun loading uses shot cards not even a crimp. Pic below.
    [​IMG]
  4. scrat

scrat New Member

You want to see the cheapest shot gun loading. Here it is.
    [​IMG]
    1. use 3 1/2 penny nail to tap out old primer put the shell over a socket so it falls through.[​IMG]
    2. place a primer on a piece of wood place the shell over it and use a wooden dowel or similar to tap the shell down over primer. [​IMG]
  5. scrat

scrat New Member

Woops almost forgot first thing cut the crimp off the shell all the way.
    3 pour in your powder. REFER TO LOADING MANUAL.
    4 put in your wad then firmly seat use the dowel again. make sure shell is over a socket so primer does not come in contact with anything.
    5 pour in shot refer to loading manual.

[​IMG]
    6. place over shot card At this point some reloaders used elmers glue a tad around the ledge to keep the shot cards in place.

[​IMG]
  6. scrat

scrat New Member

There was a very good article a few years ago in Guns Of The Old West. the author had a similar write up. Using the same basic tools. However he used black powder. Black powder loading on shotguns is sooo cool. I forgot the load data for that i have it somewhere. Best to use old style felt wad nitro cards. I used to make black powder shells all the time. Black powder shells are best used in a single shot though. As the shells get very hot and sometimes get stuck in the chamber. So its just easy to deal with in a single shot. Same time the gun needs to be cleaned right away when using black powder. If you plan on using slugs and are concerned about a crimp you could use a tad of wax or elmers glue to keep the slug in place if you can not get a desired crimp. Just i would not go crazy about it. Best thing to do is load it correct. Reason for cutting the crimp when loading black powder is you can only use the shell once as the plastic gets too hot and can have melting spots on it. So i know when shooting anything that has the crimp cut off i throw away the shells when done.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree. That's why I would ignore just about everything else that was just posted.
  8. bizy

bizy New Member

I always want to know all methods and data of reloading just in case the government decides we should not have anything concerning guns..
  9. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Many, many years ago I purchased a shot shell reloading system from Lee. It came in a box that was about the same size as a box of kitchen matches. It worked just about the same as Scrat describes above, except that it crimped the finished shell. I think it was called the Lee Loader, or something like that.

Anyway, it crimped paper hulls just fine but didn't like plastic ... the plastic shells kept coming open. I solved the problem with a drop of candle wax. I don't recall having a problem with wax build-up in the barrel.
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i got a piece of dowel rod... some bb's... i could... nah never mind LOL
  11. bizy

bizy New Member

I do agree, the best and safest way is to use a shot shell reloader.
    HOWEVER, if the government gets its way that will be the only we will have.
    God help us it does go that way.
  12. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Your actually comparing apples and oranges when you compare old school paper shotshell loading (cardboard wads) with newer uni-wad single column plastic type loads. In the older paper SS loads the wad only filled the gap between powder and shot, with just the right amount of space to add that nice roll crimp (keeping things together). On todays modern plastic loads, the wad column serves two purposes... 1) it provides the correct distance between the powder charge and crimp line and... 2) it also maintains adequate pressure on the powder (requiring a good crimp on the case) to allow a more uniform burning rate for todays modern smokeless powders.
  13. Freebore

Freebore New Member

In reading over all of the suggested ways to reload shotshells I must be missing something here ?...One pull on my 366 and a factory quality (if not better) round pops out...why all the tapping, waxing, nails, dowel rods, etc.....?...gotta take a long time to load a box of shells that way !
  14. scrat

scrat New Member

I shoot and load both. For regular and black powder. for regular like you i prefer to use a Mec you cant beat a good mec. When the shells get a little old and i decide thats about it. Then i load old school. Powder 2ffg Goex. Followed by felt wad then shot and over the shot card with the crimp cut. I cut the crimp off so i know thats the last time i shoot those rounds. Ya it takes a while. but all black powder cartridge loading takes a while esecially when using a drop tube for the powder. After i shoot them they go in the trash. Especially since black powder burns a lot hotter than regular powder. Funny thing. The spread when using black powder is usually pretty darn good. I only use my NEF single shot for shooting BP as its easier to clean up than the others. Does a heck of job i like it. Recoil is mild and the BOOM is loud and distinctive than regular loads. People notice the difference sound and all. i had some guys last time at the range that were shooting 12 guage come up to me and ask me all sorts of questions when they saw the pattern the shells were giving me. I even let them shoot off a few. They really like them a lot.

Freebore have you ever shot black powder 12 guage?
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the theory is pretty interesting to me. to be able to use basic tools to make ammo in a worst case scenario. however i dont know anything about shotshell loading so i am going to buy a book and read it, then come back to this and read it again. and if i think it's still a good idea i might try it.

just using common sense, i dont see how it could be dangerous other than when inserting the primer or seating the wadding.

i know this isnt considered a good practice by seasoned loaders and basically is considered bullcrap to some. but i think the idea has some merit. and would like to learn more about it.