searching for history

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by yekcim, Sep 14, 2009.

1. yekcim

yekcim New Member

How can I find the past military history [ owner, places of use, etc, etc ]
    of an .30 carbine?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You're not, the military does not keep long term records of local use ( unit } or individual, These records are considered temporary and are destroyed routinely. Also the same rifle may have been used by a dozen different soldiers, perhaps not even American soldiers. Sorry about that.
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

What RJ said is true, When a soldier is done withe that weapon the record is destroyed and a new one is created for the next soldier until the weapon is removed from service. some old veterans still remember their weapons serial number just like their service number.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

A boyhood father age friend of mine who went through the Pacific War (WW II) came home with his .30 Carbine.

His account was that when his transport ship docked in CA, they were marched off the ship with full "battle pack" and assembled. He said an officer addressed and told them that they were being given a pass (do not remember the length) to go home with all their gear. On a certain date they were to return to muster out with only the clothes on their backs.

He further recounted, that the officer asked if everyone understood him? Then he said "there is always one in every group". Someone asked; "But Sir, what about my rifle?" To which the response " I said the only clothes on your back, soldier!"

I have no idea how common this practice was. Finding a vet (still in possession of his weapons) who is willing to sell and provide notarized documentation is about the only way to document what battles a given weapon fought in.
  5. jondar

jondar New Member

I'm always very suspicious of accounts of acquiring a weapon (mostly always a .45) which belonged to their dad or grandpa who carried it in WW2 or WW1. While it is true that commissioned officers in some cases were permitted to purchase their duty weapons, the chances of an enlisted man being discharged with any weapon other than one which he had purchased thru civilian channels and had documents supporting this purchase, are next to nil. Most all of these weapons were released for sale to the public in 1952 and were acquired thru these channels. Of course some were stolen, but not many. When a weapon went missing, nobody slept till it was accounted for. as the old saying went.