Searching for info on old Springfield .22

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by texasred777, Jul 8, 2011.

1. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

Please see pictures and if anyone knows anything about this gun I would really appreciate the information. I only know that it's a Springfield .22 cal. bolt action, single shot. It DOES cock itself when the bolt is opened. It only states "Springfield Arms Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass. USA", ".22 SHORT, LONG, OR LONG RIFLE", and between the rear sight and the receiver is stamped "21" in a circle. Has quite a few rust spots, but shoots great. My son-in-law is 60 years old and says that the gun has 'always' been in his family. His father never told him how it came into their family. Again, he and I would appreciate any info.

Attached Files:

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Looks like a Savage #3. Springfield was a Stevens/Savage trade name.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think the Stevens Model 53 and the Savage #3 were the same gun, but I don't know the Springfield model number. Hawg, if you can figure out that whole Savage/Stevens/Springfield product line, bless you, because it gives me a headache.

Jim
  4. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

#53 has been mentioned before, but the front of the stock was different. Instead of the 'knob' end, the #53 just tapered off at the end. Yeah, I do realize that Savage, Stevens, and Springfield are 'kinda' interchangable. I can't remember now what else; but there was another difference in the #53. It may still be a #53 or #3; but I'd like be certain. Thanks Jim K and Hawg. OH, the number 21 in the circle is supposed to have something to do with the model/age/etc.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Jim you probably know more about it than I do. I know Stevens bought out a lot of smaller companies around the turn of the century as did Savage. Savage bought out Stevens in 1920. Stevens kept using the names of companies they bought out. I don't know how Springfield got into the mix unless it was a smaller company that Stevens or Savage bought out. I know Stevens dropped the Springfield name on shotguns in 1948 but kept it on Rifles.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

There's a letter and a number in a circle on the bottom of Stevens break open shotguns starting in 49, not sure about the rest of them. The letter is the date code. Most Stevens guns have one or more circled letters on them somewhere. As to the meanings of those letters I don't think anybody knows for sure
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

POI: Forestock with a "knob" at the end is called "schnable".
  8. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

"Schnable" sounds German? Well, I learned one thing today. I had never heard what the 'knob' was called. LOL Thanks Jim Hauff
  9. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

Update:

Although I haven't found any info on this rifle, I was asked by my son-in-law (owner of the gun) to refinish it a bit. Here are some pics of the rifle after I refinished it. I still have a little touch up to do here and there; but I've done just about all I know to do to it. (Pardon Macy's rear-end and tail in the pics!)

Attached Files:

10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The term "schnabel" is borrowed from German. It means "beak" or "bill" (as in a duck's bill), and the Germans also use the term for that style of rifle stock. The reason is obvious.

Red, nice stock job.

Jim
  11. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

Thanks, Jim!
  12. steve99f

steve99f New Member

It is a rebadged Savage Model 3 single shot. Introduced by Savage in 1933. I couldn't say when it was Springfield marked. It was either a model 53 or 83, depending on whether it was Stevens marked or Springfield marked.
  13. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

Steve99f, thanks. I think I get the meaning of what you're stating. You're saying that the Savage Model 3 was introduced in 1933. Then it was renamed later as a model 53 or 83.
    'depending on whether it was Stevens marked or Springfield marked' is what is not clear. It's stamped Springfield Arms. Do I not understand what you are saying? I'm really interested in all you know about this old rifle. So far, this is the most info I've received! Again, THANKS!
  14. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

Steve99f, also, do you know what the letters P.T.G.A. stamped on the bottom of the barrel of a Stevens model 258A, 12 gauge bolt action w/2 shot magazine means?
  15. steve99f

steve99f New Member

texasred777,

I know a little bit about Savages. I haven't paid much attention to their other brands, Stevens and Springfield.

I'm not sure which Model Number is associated with the Springfield brand. It's either 53 or 83. Whichever one it was, the Stevens branded model would be the other. The Savage Model 3, while in production, was always the Model 3. Think of it like Chevy and GMC. Same product, more or less, different name.

The best way to research old guns is to acquire period catalogues of the manufacturers and old Gun Digests, among other sources.

About the lettering on the shotgun, I couldn't say. It does look familiar though.