Sears bad service

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by army mp, Oct 2, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp New Member

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had it with Sears, I will not bore you with the details. But I shopped at Sears for years. And they treated you good. My Saga started 6 years ago and ended last month. From there contractors destroying property and not saying a thing about it. To just plain bad service. In my last fight with them, in trying to find out who to write to. I discovered several complains about them. Sears is on my will never go in there Stores Again list. I hope they enjoy dealing with the Pa, Attorney Generals office.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Bah, Sears. I haven't bought anything there in ages, since they started asking for social security numbers when using a credit card. Nope, not gonna start giving out the social. That company has gone downhill, like so many others.
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Sears used to be about the top company for customer service. I first found out how low they had dropped about 15 years ago when I had a three year old lawn mower blow up on me. It was well maintained...by them even, and was filled to the recommended oil level. It just exploded with a huge chunk of the aluminum block breaking out. The thing cost almost $600.00 new.

So I complained. After much haggling they agreed to give me a partial credit towards the purchase of a new one. Now maybe I expect too much but I grew up with lawnmowers that lasted a lifetime. I told them their offer was unacceptable. They said the average life of a lawn mower was about 6 years so giving me a credit for half what I paid for it was most generous.

I told them what I thought of their junk.
  4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Haven't set foot in Sears since they asked for my Social Security number. I told them it was none of their business and they weren't getting it. That was several years ago and haven't been in one of their stores since.
  5. ARB

ARB New Member

Last time I was in there was 4 years ago to buy my wife a treadmill/clotheshanger. The salesperson was such a conman that we beat a hasty retreat.
  6. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

They were once a good store with reliable name brands. Thats a thing of the past. After repairing a Kenmore fridge for the 6th time in an 8 year span, I shop them against everyone else. Low bidder wins, tired of paying too much for so little.
  7. topper

topper New Member

Sears went downhill in the late 1970's. And has continued to slide all the way to the bottom. IMO, sears has nothing but junk, salespeople that don't know their head from their butt, and fairly high prices. Satisfaction Guaranteed is no more at sears and they did it themselves. When sears joined with a large financial banking/real estate group in the 1970's, that was their downfall. Coroporate greed at it's finest.
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought a riding mower for my dad before he died. He had it for 3 years and had almost everything you can think of replaced on it including the engine. When the engine they replaced started using oil a year later, they said that he was abusing it and overworking it. I was boiling mad and called them and asked how a 73 year old man could abuse the mower. I told them exactly what was on my mind. That was my final dealing with them. Heck, my dad used to wax the mower and change oil on a regular basis. The most overworking the mower ever saw was pulling one of those garden carts full of leaves.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yea, my bad dealings with Sears started in about 1987 or so. Had to do with their Credit Card. I don't shop them much anymore, the bad thing is that my wife likes the Kenmore stuff.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

About the same here, I grew up with Sears and their service and quality has done nothing but go downhill. Now, I shop there very infrequently, if ever. You'd think they could get their act together, but time and time again as these posts prove; they fail. I thought maybe I'd see some + comments about Sears in here, but to no avail, it's pretty unanimous. :(
  11. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We are confirmed Kenmore family, with the only serious problem being a Maytag laundry unit that they had to replace the transmission in TWICE in the first year. When it went out the third time, they replaced the whole machine with a new one, no charge. Not Sears' fault, but MAYTAG built a lemon -

My only complaint with them is around Christmas when there is a severe shortage of ornaments and decorations with the REASON for the season on them; everything is santa and elves, and Jesus Christ is missing from the celebration of His birth!
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I still like the Craftsman hand tools, but I don't know of any other reasons to shop at Sears.
  13. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I bought a craftsman drill and about 7 weeks after I got it it started working sparodically, took it back and they refused to do anything aobut it so I havent been back since.
  14. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Have had several bad experiences with them as of late, including the SS# problem. I will only replace broken tools now, since I have several sets. Bought them back when Sears was "good" to work with.
  15. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Whenever you want to be left alone to look at a tv or something they will pester the living daylights out of you...THEY WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ALONE. And then if you go in there a different time and actually need help...nobody can be found.

I will not shop sears anymore either...

mike
    gn
  16. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I like their craftsman handtools. Their power tools are just rebadged tools from other companies. The rest of the store is no different than any other. In case you guys didn't know, Kmart owns Sears now and have so for a few years. YOu can bring your tools back to Kmart too.

Any time you open up a credit card anywhere with anyone you have to give up your social, don't think that sears is going to be any different.
  17. army mp

army mp New Member

I don’t know if its so much the products, as the service is just so Bad. In my original post , I mentioned Destruction of property. Well to clarify. As many of you know Sears uses Sub-contractors for Service and Deliveries now. 6 years ago when we ordered our Refrigerator, There contractor while backing into the Driveway knocked down the Electric line to the Barn. I would not have known about it right away, If I had not looked out to see packing material laying in the drive. After the truck left. You see the driver that backed the truck in , had gotten over in the yard and knocked the Electric line to the barn down . Well in their hurry to get away, before I noticed it .they took off. Leaving trash laying in the yard. This Refrigerator was back ordered twice, first two were damaged in shipment.

Last year new washer and Dryer. We where given a Delivery Date that came and went. Two weeks past delivery date. They call and same old song and dance. Washer came in but Surprise, The dryer was damaged and needed to be back ordered. Two weeks later we had we had a Washer and Dryer one month past the Delivery date.

The final Straw with sears, My wife called for Service work on the Refrigerator, she was quoted a price over the phone. She had to work the day of the service, So I stayed home. The guy did the work. How ever I did not know, the price charged was $50.00 more than what was quoted. Called sears service the next day. After being put on hold and transferred from one foreigner to another, for over an hour. We were told oh the girl that quoted the price. Gave The price for all appliances .Refrigerator should have been excluded from that price.. I explained she was told it was a Refrigerator. When the order was placed. She said it was there Mistake and would be taken care of and to call back tomorrow to confirm.

Well the next day I called back, I went through the same Run around again. Another hour on the phone . they ended up Transferring me to the service contractor Again. This time when I went through the hole thing with him. He stated flatly. You were charged what you should have end of story. Now after another hour of dealing with these fools . And being lied to. This guy should not have ended with. Is there anything else I can do for you. Being just a little hot, I did make a suggestion as to where he could go. So now we will see what the PA Attorney Generals office thinks of Bait and switch .
  18. kda

kda New Member

I had a Sears carpet cleaning service come to my home. Two young guys. The were working away in different rooms. I happened into the master bedroom and noticed one of the guys was in my bedroom closet. So I peeked in and he was going through some boxes I had on shelves (the one full of 9 mm ammo).

I was a bit unhappy about that and threw them out. Called Sears and they said they would "talk to them". Well Hoo-Rah.
  19. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I had a contract with diamond exteriors to install fencing for them. Sears contracted with diamond and diamond contracted with us. The customer paid 2.7 times what we charged normally. We made money, diamond made money and sears made money. Whats gets me was that these guys would sell junk and claim it to be bulletproof. Paper thin post and rail, the cheapest you could buy and that is what we put up. They even had a name for it and a look all it's own. Pure junk. I would not use the stuff to make a dog yard.

I have had a set of tools from them i bought 25 years ago and no complants from them. I have bought newer stuff like sockets that shatter.