Sears Model 25 Major Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mobius1080, Mar 29, 2012.

1. mobius1080

mobius1080 New Member

I have a Sears JC Higgins Model 25 22lr rifle. I buddy gave it to me, I replaced the Top Ramp and Top Ramp spring and finally got to take it to the range, well there was a major issue.

When I pulled the trigger, 3 rounds fired then the gun jammed, I thought "Great a run away gun" I cleared the gun, checked for break and tried again this time it fired 4 rounds (Full auto) and I let go of the trigger and it stopped, I pressed the trigger again and it fired another 3-4 rounds and I was able to release the trigger and it stopped, the 3rd time it did about 2 rounds then jammed, after that it just kept jamming. I do not want to the headache of a full auto weapon but I do want the rifle (It was very important to the buddy who gave it to me) how to I stop it from jamming and how do I get it back to semi auto.

I am afraid if I take it to a gunsmith he will say I can not legally have it and take it to turn it in.

Please help, I would love to be able to take by buddy out shooting again with it, he has not been shooting in 30 years (Health problems)
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

No reputable gunsmith would do that. The gun is unsafe as it is; part of a gunsmith's reason for being a gunsmith is to repair guns that are unsafe.

In order to replace the top ramp, you pulled the barrel. Not sure how much of the rifle you took apart. Did you reverse the hammer plunger and bolt plunger? Is the hammer plunger chipped?

You really need to have the rifle looked at by a professional gunsmith.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

sounds like the headspacing may be too tight. the bolt closing can fire a rim fire if its too tight.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Helix, from the OP's description is sounds like the rifle stopped firing when he released the trigger. A crush-fire between the bolt face and breechface should run until the gun is empty. This is going to be a function of the hammer plunger. These guns are similar to the Savage/Stevens 87 series in design and can be tricky to time in the firing cycle.

He does not describe what 'jam' is occurring now so it is hard to tell what is happening without having the rifle in the shop and duplicating the problem.

(By the way, folks, 'jam' is a delicious fruit preserve. Firearms fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to extract, or fail to eject. They should never be covered in delicious fruit preserves.)
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Yeah i see what ya mean SC. was under the impression that it stopped when it FTF'd.
  7. mobius1080

mobius1080 New Member

Thank you all for the quick response. Yes there is no such thing as a gun "Jam" there was a missfeed in where the bolt was coming forward before the round was completed up from the tube magazine and was getting crushed sideways, which was leading me to believe it was cycling to fast. I called my local gunsmith and he is saying about $200 to take it in to look at and fix. Thats more than the gun is monetarely worth so I have my reservations about it, but he did say that my fears had no meret and he will not keep it but he could fix it, I just have to decide if the money is worth it.

I was just hoping that there was some quick fix anyone knew about.

Thank you all again.
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

It's a High Standard A-1041 Sport King if that helps.
  9. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

There are two different versions of the Model 25 - 583.2500 and 583.2501.

These correspond most closely to the High standard models A-100 and A-103.

The A-1041 came a little later.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Well the best fix is not to send it to a gunsmith thats gonna charge 200 bucks to fix it. Thats nuts. Sounds like he dont even want to deal with it. Now I could say its not going to cost no 20 bucks to fix but 200 is crazy.
  11. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Yep, that's outrageous. My estimate is $60-$90 including parts plus return shipping.