seasonal recipes

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by mrkirker, Mar 6, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Does anyone other than myself, alter their recipes to 'match' the season? If so, in what manner?

For instance, Chili is a great year-round meal, but I alter the flavor (AND the heat) as the yearly seasons progress; 'lighter' in hot weather, 'heavier' in the cold, rainy seasons. (I'm not asking for 'specifics'; understanding that many personal recipes are somewhat 'proprietary' in nature.) :D
    Thanks!
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Here in MN, winters are filled with 'hotdish' suppers and soups and stews and other comfort foods. In summer it's all grilled hamburgers or cold sandwiches and salads and produce, tailored to how hot it is. Chili is also year-round here, my mother always made huge batches and we all looked forward to many bowls of it. I don't cook like that though, I usually find whatever looks good at the time, LOL!
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I do. In summer when cooking for the kids and myself I favour beans on toast. In winter I might add scrambled egg. Also a fish finger sandwich (do you call them fish sticks) in the winter can benefit from some beans on the side.

Tins of soup can in winter be made more filling with the addition of bread! Sometimes in the soup, especially if left to dip too long.
  4. Does the tea ever change, Tranter? Perhaps an English black tea during the winter, and an oolong in the summer? :D;)
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well some do vary the Tea they drink. Even during the day. Many would start with a strong tea and in the afternoon or evening have a mild one, Earl Grey for example.

Most people I know just have one type. I prefer English Breakfast by Twinings though all the main producers are good. PG, Tetley, even Yorkshire.

I guess Tea is a little like coffee over there, some folk just use the same type all the time while others are very particular and vary.

I used to like the coffee in Brasil. No, really, sounds like a song. There are these sort of breakfast cafes, some with standing room only. Hot fried buttered bread with a big milky coffee. I got used to it.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Not so much Kirk... Like you, I am a chili lover and I like it hot, but there are those days in July/August after enduring the heat all day, that all I want is a cold sandwich and some cold pasta or maybe some potato salad and some ice cold Gatorade.

The winter months do somehow have me stoking up the smoker more often though. I love smoking turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas, then there are the briskets, pork shoulders, chickens...

Man I'm getting hungry here! :D

Crpdeth
  7. Yup, you might say that, Donny. The inside of a Bessemer converter with a full load of slag comes to mind. :D;):p
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

LOL @ Rich!

Aye... Too bad we cant use the "stuff" to pour up a daily supply of FMJs :D:D:D

Donny
  9. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Depends on whats growing in the woods at the time, and what there allowing us to hunt/fish. Soups, stews, rolled grains big in the winter. Big slabs of grilled meat, crawdads, stripped bass, bi-valves, crab, and a multitude of different type's of mushrooms. O ya, and some veggies.
  10. Angryisme

Angryisme Member

Well, in my house...
    winter months, more baked dishes and roasts. Warm pasta dishes. Whole hams, whole turkeys, chickens, Soups and the like.
    Summer months, cold pastas, pasta salads, cold sandwiches, burgers and dogs, Keilbasa and cheddar wurst, corn on the COB!
    Some things are a year round constant, STEAK!
    My wife is a lover of seafood so that's never out of season.
    My son loves steak. If he only knew the crap I had to eat growing up.
    as far as the chili goes.... I am a lover of hot. Noone else in my house has the appreciation for it. I'm hoping the boys will come around with age.
    One thing they like year round tho is tuna/macaroni salad.
    I make it, it's ALL gone that day. I could make a ton of it and they'd eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner til it's Gone!
    Same with venison. Can't keep that sh*t around either!
    I finally told them what they were eating!!!! hahahaha

I'm sure theres a bunch I'm leaving out. thats the short list...