Seating bullet issue, please advise

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Mar 29, 2010.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Well I've just tried to seat a few .45ACP 200g HPs and I could tell there was a bit more resistance when I cammed over. The first HP stuck up in the die and I had to knock it out with a screwdriver. I then tried another one and the die seemed to squish the HP all around the side. This is the first time I've used the RN seater plug as I've only do LSWC up to tonight, which uses the SWC seater plug for flat noses. Is it just due to my die needing cleaning? A bit gummed up from that blue rubber from the LSWC?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Wildcat,

Try increasing the bell of the case before you go to the seating stage. It sounds like the bullet stays on top of the case and is crushing the case upon seating. This sometimes is from the bullet staying on the rim of the case and before it goes in the inside of the case, it pushes down on the rim and crushes it. Same could happen to force the bullet up in the die.

Try turning the expander die in quarter turn increments(I believe clockwise) until you can place the bullet inside the flare or bell of the case.

Also, check your bullet diameter and make sure it is .451 and not too much more. I have had some Zero bullets measure .453 and you can see the bullet in the case after seating.

Good luck...hope this helps. Let me know.

J
  3. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Thank you. I'll report back tonight
  4. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

jdon72 - thanks. that was it. just needed a smidge more flair and they seated just fine. Another 100 HPs for my inventory. Which reminds me - I need to make a trip to Graf's as I have finally run out of storage containers. I keep a clean shop and like all of my .45ACPs to be in their nice little blue containers, all stacked-up nicely. If I had to use a few green ones............well, that just wouldn't work. Yes, I need help.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Good...I am glad I could help. Good luck

J