Seating plated wad cutters

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Tony Cam
    (3/11/02 3:33:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Seating plated wad cutters
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been trying to seat plated 148 gr wadcutters in rem 357 cases and not having any luck at all. The cases all bulge at the base of the wad cutter, the ones that i did get to seat wouldnt chamber easily. I have tried raising the die, lowering the die, in short it has been driving me mad.
    I seated them in win 357 cases without any problem but no luck with the rem cases. I have been loading them in 38 special cases with no problem at all.
    Any suggestions ??

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 9:49:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Seating plated wad cutters
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ditch the Remington and stick with the Winchester!

Sounds like the Rem's have a thicker wall than the Win's. If you insist on loading the Rem's, try sizing the slugs prior to seating. This will probably take the cladding off in the process.

eapples
    (2/11/03 10:58:13 am)
    I know that this is a rather old post, but I encountered the same problem, not only with plated wadcutters but also with lead wadcutters, in my 38 special. And the same problem propped up with the semiwadcutters for both the 38 special and 45 acp. My problem, however, was that I was reusing the brass so much that it was starting to bulge regardless of what adjustments I made to the press or to the bullets. This also happened with my 45acp brass. I finally threw out all my old brass and purchased once fired brass through ebay. So far, no bulges and everything chambers properly.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/11/03 12:21:32 pm)
    If someone is loading plated bullets in a .357, please be advised that the makers of plated bullets have limits they post to make customers aware that they should not exceed 1200 fps with them. They might tend to shed their plated coatings.

Plated bullets should be loaded with lead bullets reloading manual tables.

If you put a dial caliper on these plated bullets you will probably see some larger diameters than copper jacketed stuff.

Gunguy

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 9:27:20 pm)

Quote:
    I know that this is a rather old post, but I encountered the same problem, not only with plated wadcutters but also with lead wadcutters, in my 38 special. And the same problem propped up with the semiwadcutters for both the 38 special and 45 acp. My problem, however, was that I was reusing the brass so much that it was starting to bulge regardless of what adjustments I made to the press or to the bullets. This also happened with my 45acp brass. I finally threw out all my old brass and purchased once fired brass through ebay. So far, no bulges and everything chambers properly.

eapples, how is thisproblem occurring? Aren't you re-sizing your brass during each loading? Are you not sizing the case completely?

Rich

eapples
    (2/19/03 1:44:49 pm)
    Rich:

The cases are being resized completely. The problem was that the seated bullet caused the case to bulge such that the finished round would not chamber. This did not happen with "once fired" brass. I concluded, therefore, that the cause of the problem must have been that the "more than once fired" brass must have been weakened from being used too much. I discaded the old brass and used fresh once fired brass. And voila! Problem solved!!!

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/03 12:06:36 am)
    how curious. could it be the case-wall thickness being different between brands of brass?
    I'd think that a straight-walled pistol cartridge, even a magnum loading, wouldn't produce any chambering issues that wouldn't be conquered by full-length sizing...
    glad you found a fix, intrigued by the mystery of why the fired brass would generate the problem...
    Rich

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/03 2:48:30 pm)
    Could it be that the case mouth was not properly belled before bullet insertion? Could it possibly be that the bullet was over crimped and would therefore bulge the case? I have done both before and both cause a chambering problem.
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/20/03 3:45:30 pm)
    I've got some new Winchester .44 special brass that seems a mite fragile, can't hardly get a good crimp on the stuff without some mid case buckling. I should mention I am not using plated bullets, just lead cast stuff.

No problem using the old reloaded brass of different brands, takes a nice crimp every time.

Gunguy

eapples
    (2/20/03 3:59:07 pm)
    For my situation, the crimp was as good as it could be, and the bell was ok. I firmly believe that the cause was that the brass was past its prime and needed to be replaced. As I said earlier, since I replaced the brass with fresh once fired brass, the problem has gone away.