Second Best Scoped Rifle Shot

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, Jul 6, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Since I was having pretty good luck with the 2 inch target, I went for something a little smaller.

Howa 1500 30-06, shooting a 1 inch target at 300 yards.

If I try a smaller target it would probably be to small to see with that scope.

The wind was from 12 o'clock at 4mph at it's strongest, so I held right on. My "diamond" the crystal inside my scope that lights up was about twice the size of the washer so it was a little tricky.

It is almost my best scoped rifle shot. This is a .33MOA sized target at 300 yards with a 30-06. My best was a .54 sized target at 550 yards using a 30-30. So this isn't as impressive but still pretty good.

Rifle: Howa 1500, 30-06
    Scope: Nikko Stirling Diamond
    Bullet: Hornady 180gr SP
    Powder: IMR 4831
    Primer: Rem 9 1/2
    Case: Win (shot 30 times)
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Great shot Rifleman, that one would be hard to beat! 1" circle @ 300 yards is hard to see, nonetheless to hit, and right about center.
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Thanks! I am loving this load it is hitting better than I had hoped it would. If I wasn't so cheap I would try a 3 shot group all on the same day. :p
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

FANTASTIC !!!
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I nominate you for a spot on the Imposibile Shot show on the Outdoor Channel!!! Great shot!
  6. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

That truly is a Great Shot and I hate to be a nay-sayer, but let's see uninterrupted video of a 5 shot group at that distance. That's the true test of marksmanship. Even 3 shots isn't enough. "Three is the gun, Five is the shooter". Just sayin...
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!!! well said... and nice shot. :)
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

With seeing many of both his misses and hits, it's pretty safe to say that given a 5 shot group, they all be pretty darn close.

I'd like to see ya shoot 5 shots to know that you have more than one of each cartridge; I'm kinda thinkin that you have to reload after each shot !! :D:D:D:p:D:D:D

Once again, NICE WORK!
  9. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I shoot groups to test my loads, and a 3 shot group is good enough for my purposes. Besides, i don't have the money to waste bullets pleasing you. If you want to shoot 5 shot groups, more power to you.

I can't upload a video more than 30 seconds, that video took 2 hours to upload.

To me, marksmanship is hitting the "mark." I would think with a handle of oneshot onekill, you of all people would understand that.

I hope you aren't going to be a "nay-sayer" every post I make now; I'm not jumping through any of your hoops.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I do have a low quality video of me shooting a 3 shot group at 400 yards; so at least you know I have 3. :p
  11. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Thanks almost everyone. ;)
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

rifleman, next time i need some washers made from quarters, Ill call you:)
  13. oneshot onekill

Calm down big fella... I don't doubt your ability to shoot. That was a great shot. However, it's pretty common knowledge among long range Tactical shooters that 5 shot groups are the watermark. Repeatability is paramount when the shot really matters! My apologies if I insulted you.
  14. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Where I come from, apologies don't begin with condescension.

It's pretty common knowledge that no one agrees on the actual number. The last dude that pulled this wanted a 20 shot group.

This isn't about groups, this is about you trying to look superior by printing words on the internet instead of printing hits on a target.

Look at my videos dude, start 7 months ago and work your way up to 2 months ago. Every shot I took during those months other than load development is right there. Usually one shot with what the elements gave me that day. It takes an actual marksman to dope wind, distance, humidity, visibility, rain, sleet, snow, blizzards, with one shot hits on the MARK!
    That is where it is at; "Repeatability" when the odds are against you, when the conditions are diverse... Then, for you to come in here to school me on "common knowledge" about "Repeatability" in, in-adverse conditions is beyond insulting.
  15. oneshot onekill

Ah, I see. You must be one of those frustrated "wanna-be's". Or a "never-was" that has to justify his existence and prove his skill to somebody... anybody. I made my peace. Now your pathetic little attempt to make a fool out of someone who acknowledged a nice shot but pointed out the true test of a marksman has only served to bring that fact to light.

Enjoy your "Internet celebrity".