The Firearms Forum banner

Second Gun?

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  rondba 
G
#1 ·
Someone once wrote, 'the quickest reload is a second gun'.

Do any members who carry for self defence carry two guns? And are they the same calibre?

G
#4 ·
To be honest, I rarely carry a BUG (back up gun). The exception to that rule is when I know I'm going to be in an area with higher risk of a confrontation. When out and about here in town, I simply pack a Glock 26 or 33 on my belt, with an extra mag, and feel safe enough. On the occasions when I do carry a BUG, I tend to go for something small, light, and very concealable. Most often that is either a Smith 637 in .38 Special or a Beretta Tomcat in .32.

Tranter, I see your point about trying to match caliber, but that is not always possible, nor is it always desirable I think. There are always the old problems of concealability and portability to contend with. At what point does one get so bogged down with artillery that he or she can't function normally or even comfortably? Obviously, if any of us knew a confrontation was in the offing, we would probably be packing a short-barreled 12 gauge along with a .45 on the hip! Doing so under normal circumstances tends to cause talk though. :D

#5 ·
I have often carried a bug, usually an S&W model 60 .38 Special on the ankle. Many years ago it was the same calibre as my carry gun, an S&W Model 15, Combat Masterpiece.

Of late, I will carry the 60 on the ankle, if I feel it necessary. However, my current carry items are either a Browning Hi-Power 9mm or a Springfield 1911 .45 ACP. That is very seldom these days, though. I carry extra magazines for either of the pistols, both in my oxygen case.....

G
#6 ·
we would probably be packing a short-barreled 12 gauge along with a .45 on the hip!
Hey Pistol, You guessed my all time favourite combo!

Good for just about any situation.

Your right about not wanting too be weighed down, I suppose it also depends on the circumstances. For example in some countries where bad people are all around and have more artillery than the army. :(

#7 ·
Often, yes. Primary is either a S&W J frame loaded with .38+P or a Kahr K9 with 9mm+P; secondary is either the Kahr K9 or a Kahr PM9; The handy thing about the Kahr/Kahr combination is that I can carry a couple of extra 7 round K9 magazines and they also fit the PM9, though they stick out the bottom a bit. My main thinking in carrying more than one is that it's very likely in any situation, that one hand will be better able to get to a gun than the other, resulting in a faster and more flexible response. Other possible primaries will be a Sig 226 DAK or a larger S&W revolver. As just about everybody else in the known universe has pointed out, it depends on where I expect to be and how I'm dressed.

#8 ·
I can say I don't often carry a BUG CCW. I guess when I fire up my heater there will be extra pistols laying on the ground though;)

G
#10 ·
For 20+ years on the job I carred a BUG, airweight bodyguard, now that I am retired, I have traded in my duty pistol and BUG for a P7M8. At present I carry no other weapon except a Al Mar folder.
I carried an airweight bodyguard for some time Bob and thought they were fantastic, so light you could pop it into a shirt pocket.

Carrying a knife for defence is ok as long as you know how to use it.

#11 ·
I do not yet carry, but I'm in the process of getting my CHL. I've spent a lot of time talking and reading about several options. What I've found, and plan to do is:

Have your primary weapon and 2 extra mags.

As for a BUG. I plan on carrying an ankle holster with a .380. Right now I have a Bersa Thunder for this job but it jammed a lot on me and if I'm not able to fix the problems with that, I will be getting something else. The Kel-Tec would be a great option because it is tiny and would be hard to find and easy to conceal and walk around with. But, it's not a very reliable gun.

I plan on trying several options and adapting a system for me, which as I'm sure you read is the key. It has to be practical and something you can do EVERY DAY. So if something doesn't work, I'll change it.

I really like the idea of a BUG because in the event I'm taken off guard they could easily find my .45 in my belt. Most mugger's aren't very educated and are acting out of desperation. Therefore I think if they found my .45 they would probably figure that's all I had. So when they're not looking I grab my BUG.

Just my opinion, and remember, I haven't carried a concealed gun one minute of my life in the real world. So take it with a grain of salt.

#12 · (Edited)
Usually, but not always, I will compliment the HK45c or SA Marine Corps Operator on my hip, with a S&W 637 on my ankle (extra mag on my weakside, and speedloader in my pocket).
I train hard with the snubby, and keep it loaded with Buffalo Bore 125gr. Gold Dots.

G
#13 ·
Usually, but not always, I will compliment the HK45c or SA Marine Corps Operator on my hip, with a S&W 637 on my ankle (extra mag on my weakside, and speedloader in my pocket).
I train hard with the snubby, and keep it loaded with Buffalo Bore 125gr. Gold Dots.
Serious kit, as I would expect.

I tried an ankle holster once but could just not get on with it. Seemed to leave me out of balance. Perhaps I should have tried one on each leg?

On the other hand I knew a drugs police officer in San Francisco who loved them. I still have an image in my mind of an incident that left him hopping down the middle of the road on one leg trying to grab the pistol as the suspects car drew away. :D

G
#14 ·
A good choice of weapons, Shimon. I too am particularly fond of the little 637, ample power (assuming good ammo) in a very small, very light package. If I need deep concealment, that is nearly always my choice, usually carried in an IWB holster. Personally, I've never cared for an ankle rig to be honest. I find them too hard to get at in an emergency. To each his own though, as they say. ;)

#15 · (Edited)
To both Pistol and Tranter, I agree that an ankle rig is not optimal, however as a back-up, I like it better than another piece on my belt, a shoulder rig, or just dropped into a pocket. It does take practice, and I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for disdaining this particular option......it just works for me :)
If however the situation dictates deep cover, and it's my sole carry, I'm certainly not above carrying the snubby in an IWB, and have.
Stay safe

#22 ·
My primary carry piece is a Walther PPK in .380 with 2 spare mags and a IWB holster. If the situation warranted, the PPK would go to the back-up role and my S&W 645 at least 2 spare mags would be primary in pancake holster. I'm using the heaviest basic JHP bullets available in both. I need to look into an ankle holster for the PPK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.