Second Strike Capability on New Agent?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by .44SNUB, Nov 6, 2012.

1. .44SNUB

.44SNUB New Member

I have not read all of the threads (yet) and would like to know if the DAO Colt New Agent has second strike capability. Would be a shame if their engineers left that out.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  3. .44SNUB

.44SNUB New Member

Thank you Carver for your reply and the great article.

Here is a posting I copied off TFF. I hope the Colt is not two-faced as this posting says about Glock and Kahr.
    ============================

DAO has TWO faces. Beretta builds a DAO M-92, whick cocks and drops the hammer, full force, every time the trigger is pulled, just like a S&W revolver; Glock, also considered DAO, by most, and Kahr, do not! Both Kahr, and Glock, require slide cycling to 'half cock' the striker, the trigger doing the rest. Consistant pull, when the gun runs, but "no joy" (read this, immediate action drill:"Tap-Rack-Bang") if it does not!
    The Beretta, and the S&W 39/59 crowd, will at least, give a full force swat, to the same (dud?) round, if the trigger is pulled again! Same applies to Walther, in the PP, and P, series pistols.
    S&W Revolver, action is the same; ie, pull the trigger again, except you get a new round in the breech, every pull of the trigger!
    Draw your own conclusions, based on application, ability, budget, and energy requirements.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

Sorry I didn't welcome you to the forum on my first post, just didn't see that you were new!
    I believe the Glock, and Khar, are striker fired guns. For the guns that are striker-fired and SAO (like the Glock or Khar) there is no "second-strike" capability, meaning if the first pull of the trigger doesn't go bang, you cannot just squeeze the trigger again and strike the primer again. I think that the Colt New Agent, with a 10 lb trigger pull would be second strike capable.
    Just courious though as to why you would want a gun with second strike ability? If that primer didn't "pop" the first time it was struck, I don't think I would be worried about a second strike! Tap-Rack-Bang gets back into the fight much quicker with any semi-auto!
  5. .44SNUB

.44SNUB New Member

I joined this forum in May 2010, but I believe this is my first posting. Like all forums you have to sift through some amount of chaff to get to the real stuff. I was one of the first in South Carolina to get a CWP, at last my carry was legal.
    My carry gun when in the USA is a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog (1974). The original tapered barrel, non-sleeved. I decided the 3" made the gun too long for my pocket (only 7/16" shorter than my Browning Hi-Power). I was on a work assignment in California in 1991 and had a gunsmith take the barrel down to 1 13/16" and make that dreadful hook front sight into a non-snagging ramp. I had him take the hammer spur off, a detriment to metal in the pocket being removed. It was reborn as 6 5/16" long with the original Bulldog grips.
    It didn't take me long to realize this gun was areal beast to shoot. I may have been better off to have an assailant shoot the gun at me. It has stopping power at both ends. I sent the Bulldog to Mag-Na-Port for their famous surgery. Well, the gun did not flip so much anymore and, maybe it's my imagination, the perceived recoil seemed to be less. Yes I know that's against the laws of physics but it was there.
    I borrowed a chronograph and ran several factory loads through the screens. Very disappointing ballistics.....the bullet isn't in the barrel long enopugh to get the benefit of the explosion. I decided to look for the fiercest .44 Special load. It is Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 with a 255-grain Keith bullet. Tim of Buffalo Bore says don't shoot their round in the Bulldog, I disobeyed knowing of hotter handloads being fed through the light Bulldog. I fired enough rounds to get an average chronograph reading, but not more. The gun is hell to shoot. It would be used only in times of self-defense since I am not a sado-masochist. 817 FPS gives it the same energy as a 230-grain .45ACP.
    I guess I got carried away with my revolver story in a 1911 forum. Please forgive me for defiling the forum.
    Nice to meet you Carver.
    Ed
  6. .44SNUB

.44SNUB New Member

Hmmmm, I neglected to say why I'm interested in the New Agent. I'm considering giving my Bulldog a rest and using a pony.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Still, Just courious though as to why you would want a gun with second strike cability? If that primer didn't "pop" the first time it was struck, I don't think I would be worried about a second strike! Tap-Rack-Bang gets back into the fight much quicker with any semi-auto!
  8. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

This.....if you don't understand / or can't learn how to deal with malfunctions on the single action 1911 pistol, stick with a wheel gun. Second strike capability in a pistol fight is a suicidal tendency. The fact that you would post this is indeed "curious". It makes me very curious as to the common sense factor these days:(
  9. lilmule

lilmule New Member

Well tend to agree for much of it reasoning,yet some mfg(like com block.also have yet to see a 1911 in 9x18 or 7.62x25)) have extra hard primers in case of a light strike second one can make it go bang.But for that one needs a true da,sa rack and try again,then switch ammo to something more docile.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. .44SNUB

.44SNUB New Member

I did read, as of a week ago, all of the threads in the centerfire revolvers and pistols section.....pretty good stuff there. But for the life of me I don't recall any threads defining "curious" as a reason to place negative labels on a member wanting to know about a particular gun's workings.....or maybe I just didn't notice crockett007's name. I thank the other two members for their helpful replies.:confused:
  11. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Not trying to hurt your feelings. Sorry. :(
  12. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

New Agent 9MM
    Another Dancing Pony with all the History and Quality that comes with the Colt Name.
    Excellent Firearm
  13. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

I do not know about the colt, but I have fired the Taurus semi autos with strike two capability and I do not think it took as long as racking the slide to squeeze the trigger a second time and have the round go off. Some cheap ammo has very hard primers and that second strike usually gets the round to pop.