Sedgley 1916 (gun of the day)

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/11/01 5:15:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Sedgley 1916 (gun of the day)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a suicide pistol from the early part of the last century. I suspect that anyone considered shooting these things would be a suicide watch candidate.

Xracer
    (8/11/01 5:25:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sedgley 1916 (gun of the day)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What caliber is it?

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/11/01 8:15:19 pm)
    It's a .22 Short gun, so this probably wouldn't be the one to attempt that suicide with.

Xracer
    (8/12/01 8:18:39 am)
    Yeah, that's a real "suicide special", but I've seen worse....in fact I've owned worse!

My first ever gun.....when I was 10 or 11 I traded a bag of marbles for a 3", nickle plated, bottom-of-the-line Iver Johnson .22 revolver. This dog was so cheap, it had no ejector...after you shot it, you had to pull out the cylinder pin, remove the cylinder, and poke out the empty brass with the pin, reload the cylinder, put it back into the frame, and put the pin back.

It spit more lead out the side than went down the barrel.

I traded it away for a half-a-bag of marbles.

At least, it had a trigger guard.

AntiqueDr
    (8/12/01 4:53:38 pm)
    I wish I had a nickel for every question I've answered about the Sedgely and Kolb Baby Hammerless pistols on GB.

Had a few, one NIB Kolb, somehow ended up trading them all off. Actually thought I still had one until I checked...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/12/01 8:44:24 pm)
    Since you've answered so many questions, how about one more? I need a hammer/trigger spring for this one, any idea where I'd find one?

AntiqueDr
    (8/13/01 6:37:36 am)
    I think EVERYBODY that has one of these pistols needs springs. If they are to be had, try Gun Parts Corp, 845-679-4867. Not a cataloged item, but they just might have it anyway.

Otherwise, it's not that big a chore to make one.

www.apaxenterprises.com

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/13/01 4:39:02 pm)
    Gun Parts doesn't have it. However, I've been told by two people that it's a PITA to make a spring for this gun. Of course, I suspect that it's somewhat of a PITA to make any spring, I really don't know how I'd keep it "springy" after the heating and forming.

AntiqueDr
    (8/13/01 6:59:45 pm)
    It's all in the quench.
    www.apaxenterprises.com

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/13/01 7:22:28 pm)
    I'm afraid I'm not "in the know" when it comes to making springs, I leave that to the experts. I also wouldn't know what kind of material to start with.