seeding the bullet

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by willieb1989, Feb 10, 2010.

1. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

Hello today my bullets should be coming soon, and i was wondering how deep the bullet should be seeded? for a .308. thanks.
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Maximum overall length is 2.81
  3. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

About 2 to 3 inches in the ground should break soil about mid-march.;)
    But seriously need a lot more info than what you provided in order to give you an answer.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

It sounds as if you have no load data? I wouldn't be loading anything without it. Call on us to help when you have some data and learn the lingo of reloading.
  5. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

dsv is correct. We should all plant our bullets and make a bullet tree. There are money trees, right?

Grab a load book and use that info to start for your seating depth.

J
  6. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

yeah thanks everyone. lol i swear i couldnt find it in my book then i finally found it. sorry for the hassle.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

make sure you dont confuse bullet weight for charge weight. I have had more than a couple poor victims on my repair table from such instances:eek:
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
    It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must
    be seen as a guideline only.
    The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
    This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of
    the barrel, 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.
  9. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

What you stated Steve brings up a question I have about COL. The other day I was making .45 ACP that the OAL called for was 1.275. Well with the bullet I was using it would not fully chamber because of the o-give. When I shortened the OAL to 1.250 it chambered just fine. My question is wouldn't this affect pressure if I decided to shoot them at this length?
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Your load manual will also tell you the MINIMUM OAL depending on what powder you are using.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You must keep in mind that reloading manuals are "guidelines" for proper reloading. Each component/specification in a given recipe can be substituted or changed within reason, you must remember, when changing ANYTHING in a given recipe, you must start back at minimum charge and work up to your best load safely possible. It is perfectly acceptable to shoot .45ACP cartridges that are 1.250" long but they must be developed safely and deemed safe by the shooter... In short, reloading is alot like swimming, you do it at your own risk and certain guidelines are provided as a means of maintaining safety... Mind your manuals, you will be successful...;)
  12. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Absolutely. The obvious answer would be to reduce the charge, to come up with the same pressure. But, depending on your charge and pressure, it may or may not be needed. NOTE: This same scenario is mentioned in the load date for .40S&W (Lyman #48 manual) regarding excessive bullet seating vs. pressure increases, as it is volatile to begin with.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I have five primer bushes growing on the back porch now. I have a SP SPM LP SR and a LR bush. I'm sitting on a diamond mine.
  14. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I could use a branch of that SR bush when it blooms.

J
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I was in cabelas in Dundee Mi a couple times in the last two weeks and they've had 8 or 10k of CCI SR sitting in the case. Powder cabinet was well stocked too.