Seeking recommended shotgun loads for range shooting vs. home defense.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Remington597, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I have the Remington 1100 semi-auto shotgun which handles pretty much any of the light/target to heavy magnum loads out there. , but our range club www.antelopeclub.org has recently started allowing shotgun shooting and I am looking for the least powerful and benign loads to ease into for frequent range target shooting that are easy on the gun's components. I want to gradually ease myself into the heavier loads. In 25 years of serious shooting, I've only fired a shotgun, maybe 10 times at most. Can you guys recommend the easiest and most benign loads for this 12ga.
    Thanks.
    Here is it.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Look for low brass loads described as "light target" and you'll be alright. Get them in 9's or 8's for most target games. For home defense, you won't be real bad off either - shoot a round of low brass at 15-25 feet into a milk jug and you'll get the picture - no, its not buckshot, but I don't want to be shot with it.... (besides, from an agressive lawyer stand point, you look much more benign describing what you shot your intruder with as "a standard target load" than the latest version of "manstopper" ammo...)

If you find yourself to be rather recoil senstive, invest in a Past recoil pad that you strap on - they really work.
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Second that motion.......home defense also.

LTS
  4. Remington597

Thanks gentlemen.
    These seem like the right type.
    Remington STS 12ga 1oz. 7-1/2 size.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Depending on how your gun patterns, 7.5's might be a little big. For better pricing look for Fiocchi White Rhinos or something similar in their line up. Winchester AA's are in the same price category as the Reminton STS's.

Pattern your gun at the game-ranges you expect to play and choose the most dense pattern regardless of shot size. Clays break pretty easy - except for the rabbits.
  6. Remington597

Excellent suggestion.