Self defence laws in Australia?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by venustus, Oct 28, 2011.

1. venustus

venustus New Member

Was just wondering what rights a law abiding citizen has with regards to defending life and property in Australia.How does the law stand?If someone came into your house with deadly intent,how would you defend your self?And if you did, what are the legal repurcussions?

Dim.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

depends on the state

short list of if you have a right to defend your self or others

QLD maybe .. min ammont of force needed etc

NSW YES , but not armed .. need witness's

Vic YES , and then some

SA Yes

WA NO no No

NT yes sorta must attempt to call the cops first
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

some listed in this

PDF version below ..

the file 17-98.pdf is the parliamentary inquiry and quotes the reg's

Attached Files:

4. venustus

venustus New Member

Thanks Jack.
    So if someone came in wielding a gun, and you lived in Vic/SA, does the citizen have a right to use a legally registered weapon (rifle etc) to defend him/herself as a last resort?
    So in QLD/NSW, if someone was coming in with all guns blazing into your home, youre pretty much stuffed either way.I mean defending yourself without being armed against an armed perpertrator!?!?!Maybe we should offer them a cup of coffee!!
    What do you think?

Dim.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes indeed in Vic and SA a lawful weapon is just that

SA has a clause about fair warning thats hung a few folks as well as a phrase "least injury"

if the guy says' I'm gonna kill you " and you have a witness, your cool if you shoot him in the bollocks , blow his head off and there'll be a coroners inquiry and you'll walk maybe .. depends on too many factors , if any civil liberties or anti gun coalition folks take it up for one ...

NSW you must prove that your life was at risk , not just you beleived it

i got jumped a while back you may remember the news story , anti sharia campaigner gets jumped by 4 pro jihadi's on belmore road riverwood , they pull up leave the keys in the car doors open , grab a baseball bat from the boot , and a machette from somewhere and attacked a guy with his arms full of shopping

the guy gets the baseball bat and gets stuck in to them and one bolts leaving the original bat holder on the deck and another hiding behind the small one waving the machette when the cops arrive

thankfully there was a heap of video , traffic cam and security CCTV

they claimed i attacked them , as i'm such a racist ;)

when that failed they tried to charge me civilly ..

didn't fly , why / mainly the car, how they left it there running waiting a getaway that did not happen

they came after me so that intent to use those weapons and the machette justified me breaking one arm and a brain and a ankle , with a weapon i took off them , if i had of had a knife and used that i may not have got off totally free ..

thats NSW ..

shoot someone who's not armed and breaks into your place and you'll be in court like the folks in the sydney papers recently , and that bloke who tasered a burgler , he's still locked up awaiting info , the burglar has got bail ... he wasn't armed ( although they did find a screw driver the gent stated he was threatened with , but he's gotta go to court to say ...)

but here s where we ( the shooters) had their first win ,

the amendment was about protection of family or others

if some scum breaks into your house and has your kid, or wife , one between the eyes will not be questioned ... or two , no more , cant over do it eh ;) they are funny that way

but defending others allows and negates the touchy feely warning and minimal force junk

we are working on castle doctrine that you dont have to wait till they are in and a threat ( like somone half way through your window is less of a threat than someone all the way in ) maybe warned and dealt with if they fail to respond

Shooters party of old and shooters and fishers today have had a few good wins for folks and working on others too
  6. venustus

venustus New Member

Yeah, those anti gun lobbyists.Dont you just love em'!!!I mean I have "friends" who think that owning a gun is mad.I attempted to show one of my rifles to a mate and he got so offended that he told me to get rid of it,and wouldnt come over again until it was gone.Needless to say I got rid of him!!So much victimisation/stigma, just for owning a gun!!Incredible.

Cheers,
    Dim.

PS.Just to let you know Jack today is a special day for Greece,when General Metaxas rejected the axis ultimatum for allowing free passage through Greece in 1940.
  7. venustus

venustus New Member

Sorry to hear about your incident Jack.I dont actually remember.When was this?Im glad you did what you did to these scumbuckets!!!Too bad you couldnt have done more!!They love attacking people who have no way of defending themselves.They never go one on one.They stalk people in groups!!!
    They should blend in or LEAVE Australia!!!But they dont want to do neither!!!iI myself have personally been harassed for just minding my own business.This thing never happened when I was a kid.

PS Im not racist either;)

Regrds,
    Dim.
  8. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

In nature the predators always go after the weak, slow, or defenseless.

Do you believe this for the U.S.:

According to the book, Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun written by Dr. Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, guns are used 2.5 million times a year by law-abiding citizens in self-defense. That breaks down to about 6,850 times a day(86).
    On it's website The National Safety Council says the total number of gun deaths accounts for less than 30,000 deaths per year. This means that firearms are used eighty times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. Looking at the break down of these 2.5 million cases, we find that a large majority of the time merely brandishing a weapon or firing a warning shot to scare off the attacker is all that was required. Less than 8% of the time is the attacker wounded or killed.

Even anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig from the Clinton Administration published a study in 1997 called “Guns in America” for The National Institute of Justice. In this study they admitted that according to the Justice Department there are as many as 1.5 million cases a year where guns are used in self-defense. George Will in “Are we a Nation of Cowards'?” wrote for Newsweek in 1993 that armed citizens kill more criminals than police do every year, by a margin of almost two to one (1527 to 606). Newsweek readers learned “Only 2% of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police was more than 11%, more than five times as high.” Some 200,000 women use a gun to defend themselves against sexual abuse every year.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've seen it so many times i dunno how many

example , a mate has been busted and got a extra guard duty , his girlfriend is a waitress ( barmaid here) at a bar in a rough part of town ( Kings cross)

i says i'll go , my Mrs and i drive in and wait for her as she walks towards us in the carpark/backally 3 guys approach her , i did not like that and got out and walked towards them all and asked if things where ok .. they took one look at me with a 9mm hi power on a thigh holster and walk away ,

saved some trouble that night .. and thats HERE

oh that George Will document "Are we a Nation of Cowards'?”, excellent reading if boring in how its stated
  10. venustus

venustus New Member

I agree with both of you guys .Very valid points.
    From time immemorial people have always had the right to self defence.I have always believed this emphatically.The criminals will always have weapons and the tighter the gun laws become,the more they go underground.I mean,(and jack knows),you can go to Kings Cross and buy any weapon you like,so long as you have the cash.Talk about gun control!!!The govt. is controlling the wrong people!!
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

one exception there venustus, the folks selling the guns at the cross know me and wont sell to me , they rather just give me the bullets i suspect .. ;) their former cleric was posting here earlier
  12. venustus

venustus New Member

Great post!!!!!!!!!!:cool: