Self Defence Revolver Barrels

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, May 6, 2009.

?

Self defence revolver barrel length? Home and carry.

1. 2" Barrel

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. 3" Barrel

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. 4" Barrel

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. other

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

What is your choice of barrel length in a self defence revolver? To be carried as well as in the home.

I always loved 3". It seemed, to quote Goldilocks, 'just right' but others often disagreed.

Any opionions?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the 3in barrel seems to me a good choice as well. they seem better balanced. and as for a carry gun if you can hide a 2 inch you can hide a 3 incher just as well with one exception... pocket carry. though i carry a colt detective special 2in barrel i've given alot of thought to replacing it with a colt viper i have with a 3 in barrel . or as my daughter puts it join the 21st century and start packing a automatic ( not going to happen )
  3. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I have to go with a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel i want people to know im armed and that i have a REAL GUN!!! besides its the only hand gun i have at the moment so that's what i will use :p
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

2" carry fits in the pocket better
    4" home

for both?
    3" compromise
  5. pawn

pawn Active Member

2 inch for carry
  6. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Also 2" for carry but If I could conceal it better I would go with 3" as it would be better overall for home and carry.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I voted for 4". If you carry any of the major auto pistols you could carry any 4" revolver, IMHO. The 44 mag. might be a little too heavy for CCW but .357 on down should not be any heavier, or bulkier than the major autos. Of course you would have only 6 - 7 shots, as compaired to 8 - 18! Yet, you know that the revolver will not jam.
  8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    The general rule I've always used is 6" for target use, 4" for service/defense use and 2" or 3" (depending on size and caliber) for concealing. I myself almost always go for a 4" barrel on any revolver; for my it usually seems the best for ballance and feel. My nightstand gun is a S&W model 15 .38 with 4" barrel and I also have a model 18, which is the exact same K-frame, .22lr with 4" barrel for practice. This is a great package for defense and training.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

This was pretty well my exact thought process.
  10. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I figure that I can hit middle mass with a 2" revolver at the range where I won't be prosecuted for pulling the trigger. That would be about any distance in my house and up to 15 yds elsewhere.

I am more likely to to have the 2" revolver or the PPK/s than any of my larger pistols/revolvers simply because of concealment and comfort.
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I used to compete with a 4" revolver.

For CCW/self-defense revolvers I've always liked the speed and retainability of 2". I'd be open minded about a 3" though.
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I have fired revolvers of almost every barrel length, including 8"! and still think a 3" is the best all round for defence. Preferably a heavy barrel as in I think a Smith 65.

It seems to me to be the best compromise between controllability and portability. I like the 2" Js, and have carried several over the years but never got good enough results shooting a 2" as 3". I know the extra will make almost no difference as to accuracy for purpose, but perhaps the extra inch sight base does.
  13. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

I carry an S&W Model 60 with a 3" barrel: my only gun so far. Picked it because I wanted something that could shoot a real defense round, and after trying a 2" snubby with .357 practice/target loads, decided that the extra inch made all the difference in my ability to control the gun. ;-) My husband has a Springfield XDM 9 mm with a longer barrel, but he has his sights set on winning target shooting matches. (And, to be honest, is a better shot than I am.)
  14. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

I have a Colt .38 Special Diamondback with a 2.5" barrel so 3" is perfect for me.
  15. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    stuck in gunslinger mode, 7'' with a barrel that looks like a cave:D