1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Self Defence Revolver Barrels

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, May 6, 2009.

?

Self defence revolver barrel length? Home and carry.

1. 2" Barrel

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. 3" Barrel

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. 4" Barrel

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. other

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

What is your choice of barrel length in a self defence revolver? To be carried as well as in the home.

I always loved 3". It seemed, to quote Goldilocks, 'just right' but others often disagreed.

Any opionions?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the 3in barrel seems to me a good choice as well. they seem better balanced. and as for a carry gun if you can hide a 2 inch you can hide a 3 incher just as well with one exception... pocket carry. though i carry a colt detective special 2in barrel i've given alot of thought to replacing it with a colt viper i have with a 3 in barrel . or as my daughter puts it join the 21st century and start packing a automatic ( not going to happen )
  3. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I have to go with a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel i want people to know im armed and that i have a REAL GUN!!! besides its the only hand gun i have at the moment so that's what i will use :p
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

2" carry fits in the pocket better
    4" home

for both?
    3" compromise
  5. pawn

pawn Active Member

2 inch for carry
  6. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Also 2" for carry but If I could conceal it better I would go with 3" as it would be better overall for home and carry.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I voted for 4". If you carry any of the major auto pistols you could carry any 4" revolver, IMHO. The 44 mag. might be a little too heavy for CCW but .357 on down should not be any heavier, or bulkier than the major autos. Of course you would have only 6 - 7 shots, as compaired to 8 - 18! Yet, you know that the revolver will not jam.
  8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    The general rule I've always used is 6" for target use, 4" for service/defense use and 2" or 3" (depending on size and caliber) for concealing. I myself almost always go for a 4" barrel on any revolver; for my it usually seems the best for ballance and feel. My nightstand gun is a S&W model 15 .38 with 4" barrel and I also have a model 18, which is the exact same K-frame, .22lr with 4" barrel for practice. This is a great package for defense and training.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

This was pretty well my exact thought process.
  10. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I figure that I can hit middle mass with a 2" revolver at the range where I won't be prosecuted for pulling the trigger. That would be about any distance in my house and up to 15 yds elsewhere.

I am more likely to to have the 2" revolver or the PPK/s than any of my larger pistols/revolvers simply because of concealment and comfort.
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I used to compete with a 4" revolver.

For CCW/self-defense revolvers I've always liked the speed and retainability of 2". I'd be open minded about a 3" though.
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I have fired revolvers of almost every barrel length, including 8"! and still think a 3" is the best all round for defence. Preferably a heavy barrel as in I think a Smith 65.

It seems to me to be the best compromise between controllability and portability. I like the 2" Js, and have carried several over the years but never got good enough results shooting a 2" as 3". I know the extra will make almost no difference as to accuracy for purpose, but perhaps the extra inch sight base does.
  13. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

I carry an S&W Model 60 with a 3" barrel: my only gun so far. Picked it because I wanted something that could shoot a real defense round, and after trying a 2" snubby with .357 practice/target loads, decided that the extra inch made all the difference in my ability to control the gun. ;-) My husband has a Springfield XDM 9 mm with a longer barrel, but he has his sights set on winning target shooting matches. (And, to be honest, is a better shot than I am.)
  14. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

I have a Colt .38 Special Diamondback with a 2.5" barrel so 3" is perfect for me.
  15. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    stuck in gunslinger mode, 7'' with a barrel that looks like a cave:D