Self defense fighting style

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Davejohn90, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

I'm looking for a economical way to learn some self defense manuvers or a style of combat. Krav maga the israel fighting style has peeked my interest does anyone know where i could get some videos or mabye some books at? (cheap or free perferably)
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

mind if i ask age height weight and experience ?

Krav Maga is very good but assumes you have some basic skills

light weights like myself ( i'm scrawny nowdays) may be better of with something like silat ( malay fighting style ) or Shree Tai Kwon do

larger folks who have decent muscles but a lot of bulk slowing them should study a close in combat style , or get put em down, take em out , how to use that bulk as a tool .. and a shiv
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm a big fan of this though ..

Attached Files:

4. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

me too but the idiots here want the odd's stacked in the jihadists way

make it even sorta i think ..
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have tried several martial arts styles, and several different ways of learning them.
    A residence class is best, because having someone watch you and point out exactly what you need to work on, as well as having various sparring partners, is highly beneficial.
    But that is expensive, and at least where I have lived, the number of different styles available within commuting distance is quite limited.

So I have gone to several different distant-learning methods, with varying degrees of success.

Dr. Yang is the best long-distance instructor I have come across. He operates the Yang Martial Arts Association (YMAA)

He offers MANY different external Martial Arts styles on DVD.

I have his Shaolin Kung Fu DVD, and have been working through it for some months now - it is VERY good, has a LOT of information, and is easy to follow.

Whatevery style you settle on, I recommend Dr. Yang Ming as an instructor.

His Doctorate is in Mechanical Engineering - and he applies those principles to his martial arts quite well -
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Russian Martial Arts! (Systema)
  8. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

I am 6,2 260lbs I'm not in good shape and I feel taking on some martial art would help me to get in a better shape bc i'm more interested in martial arts then riding a bike for 20+miles. Honestly I boxed for about 1 1/2 years amateur but other than that I have no experience in martial arts.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Systema is Krav mag if you've ever studied either you'll see it in the other

260 at 6'2"

no krav would be fine for you ..
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  10. ampaterry

YMAA offers this Krav Maga course.

Jack, do you think this would do if no local instruction is available for Davejohn?
    I would expect it is up to YMAA standards, or they would not be handling it, so there is YEARS of training packed in this six hour plus DVD set -
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

remember Charles Atlas ? there was another Dr shing taught what became known as shaolin kung foo , i did both well before i saw the inside of a school

moved to the city and realised it was real enough if you practise , yes i needed a lot of correction when i hit the military but was made a instructor in my 4th year

so self education from books and DVD's i think is like a good ryu you get out what you put in

and david kahn is no amatuer , he's impressive in person

i'm also very glad this series is his own and not with Levine who was light on substance and heavy on marketing ( and posing , sorry for his fans , met the guy so entitled to my thoughts and yes he;d wipe the floor with me , eventually ;) )

i may invest in a set myself

cheers for the link Terry !
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMO you should get back into boxing. I have always worked the heavy bag and used to work the speed bag and it is great exercise. I have done both boxing (I was not Golden Gloves) and martial arts and IMO the boxing workouts were the best.
  13. ampaterry

Jack, I just watched the video of David Kahn, and it caused me to pause -
    Everything he did was with an opponent, and from all of his moves I cannot see how this MA could be done without a partner to work with -
    Something he may want to consider -
  14. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Ok I hope I don't piss alot of people off here, but I would disregard all of the previous advice with the exception of 76Highboy. First off the best self defense is without a doubt a gun! that being said, Boxing is an effective martial art! add a ground/grappling art to your game such as Judo or in my opinion even better Brazillion Jiu jitsu and you will gain practicle self defense as well as an improved level of fitness. Avoid styles that do not sparr and do not practice alive training methods.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hope ya never get caught between reloads ..

and here i cant carry and get jumped with knives too many times to be slack

this is my arm after the first parry to open him up ( and i had on a heavy jacket and a sloppy joe ) almost 2 years on now

and thats all he did to me

but the "incident" lasted a while after this happened ;)

Attached Files: