Self defense for truckers

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Jerryboy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

so, today i finished my third day of the CDL driving class. one of the instructors told me that federal law says that you can't carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle. does anyone on here know where i can find more info about this law? i would also like information about any pro trucker self defense groups that i could join.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

I carried one with me for years when I drove a truck and was ok as long as I stayed in a state that honored my permit. The company I drove for had a no firearms policy themselves but most of them knew I carried it and never said anything.
  3. Jerryboy

so you've never heard of any law regarding carrying in a commercial vehicle?:confused:
  4. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

No I never have. If it is your truck then it is your property. If you are driving for someone else and they have a no gun policy then you may have to abide by their rules. I chose not to and I was stopped a few times by Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas Highway Patrol and never had any issues when I gave them my permit.
  5. Jerryboy

err... just for reference, how long has it been since you drove a truck?:eek:
  6. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

About 4 years ago. Hope I never have to get behind the wheel of another one.
  7. Jerryboy

why not? was it a tough job?
  8. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

9. Jerryboy

10. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

If I was a commercial driver I would have one with me all of the time, I have friends and relatives that are drivers and they are always armed.
  11. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Feds say no, I was caught at the scales and i had to bluff my way out. It's my truck and my home so im allowed. They let it go and i hauled home next and took it out never to be in my sleeper again.that was in cal . good luck on your driving and watch out for dummies. Made me park my truck for fear of getting killed.
  12. Jerryboy

what i'm looking for is the specific legislation/policy/royal decree that says no guns in a CMV.
  13. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Try usdot.com. takes reading but.... I think it's called Interstate transportation of a firearm.
  14. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

and just a thought , you could put your ammo in the cubby hole and a empty piece in the sleeper. No protection but its legal. like being parked and having a beer, used to be ok but nomore. i was lucky my keys were in my house as i washed my truck in the driveway. they tried (local cops) and i asked how in hell do i move it with no keys!
  15. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

16. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

That instructor is an idiot. As long as the states you travel in honor your permit and you abide by their carry laws, you're good to go. For states that don't.... keep a lockable pistol case with you. Stop before entering such states and unload and lock it up then store it in the compartment under the bunk and the ammo someplace else. Just follow regulations for transporting.

ps- the right lane ain't broke and you won't fall off the edge of the road so... use it
  17. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

That is good advice for anyone that drives.:thumbsup:
  18. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I've got a letter from the Sec of Transportation somewhere on this subject. I had heard this same thing for years. It's not true but many believe it.
    You must have a permit from your home state.
    You must follow the laws of the state you are in.
    The weapon must not be accessable from the drivers seat.
    The ammo must be seperated from the weapon.

There is more but that is what I remember.

Just remember that you will be sleeping in places at night most cops won't go in the daytime.
    Load your weapon when you go to bed and unload it when you wake up.

Good luck and your instructor needs to show you the law that says you can't carry.
    Be prepared for a long wait because it's not there.
  19. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NOBODY tells me I cant protect myself. I will roll the dice.
  20. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

You may want to consider a can of wasp and hornet spray. Legal everywhere, but if someone tries to drag you out of the rig.....hose em down.

will give you time to load your gun, smoke a cig. and pee before they come at you again.