Self defense for truckers

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Jerryboy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

so, today i finished my third day of the CDL driving class. one of the instructors told me that federal law says that you can't carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle. does anyone on here know where i can find more info about this law? i would also like information about any pro trucker self defense groups that i could join.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I carried one with me for years when I drove a truck and was ok as long as I stayed in a state that honored my permit. The company I drove for had a no firearms policy themselves but most of them knew I carried it and never said anything.
  3. Jerryboy

so you've never heard of any law regarding carrying in a commercial vehicle?:confused:
  4. sting75ray

No I never have. If it is your truck then it is your property. If you are driving for someone else and they have a no gun policy then you may have to abide by their rules. I chose not to and I was stopped a few times by Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas Highway Patrol and never had any issues when I gave them my permit.
  5. Jerryboy

err... just for reference, how long has it been since you drove a truck?:eek:
  6. sting75ray

About 4 years ago. Hope I never have to get behind the wheel of another one.
  7. Jerryboy

why not? was it a tough job?
  8. sting75ray

9. Jerryboy

10. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

If I was a commercial driver I would have one with me all of the time, I have friends and relatives that are drivers and they are always armed.
  11. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Feds say no, I was caught at the scales and i had to bluff my way out. It's my truck and my home so im allowed. They let it go and i hauled home next and took it out never to be in my sleeper again.that was in cal . good luck on your driving and watch out for dummies. Made me park my truck for fear of getting killed.
  12. Jerryboy

what i'm looking for is the specific legislation/policy/royal decree that says no guns in a CMV.
  13. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Try usdot.com. takes reading but.... I think it's called Interstate transportation of a firearm.
  14. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

and just a thought , you could put your ammo in the cubby hole and a empty piece in the sleeper. No protection but its legal. like being parked and having a beer, used to be ok but nomore. i was lucky my keys were in my house as i washed my truck in the driveway. they tried (local cops) and i asked how in hell do i move it with no keys!
  15. sting75ray