Self defense for truckers

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Jerryboy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

That instructor is an idiot. As long as the states you travel in honor your permit and you abide by their carry laws, you're good to go. For states that don't.... keep a lockable pistol case with you. Stop before entering such states and unload and lock it up then store it in the compartment under the bunk and the ammo someplace else. Just follow regulations for transporting.

ps- the right lane ain't broke and you won't fall off the edge of the road so... use it
  2. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

That is good advice for anyone that drives.:thumbsup:
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I've got a letter from the Sec of Transportation somewhere on this subject. I had heard this same thing for years. It's not true but many believe it.
    You must have a permit from your home state.
    You must follow the laws of the state you are in.
    The weapon must not be accessable from the drivers seat.
    The ammo must be seperated from the weapon.

There is more but that is what I remember.

Just remember that you will be sleeping in places at night most cops won't go in the daytime.
    Load your weapon when you go to bed and unload it when you wake up.

Good luck and your instructor needs to show you the law that says you can't carry.
    Be prepared for a long wait because it's not there.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NOBODY tells me I cant protect myself. I will roll the dice.
  5. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

You may want to consider a can of wasp and hornet spray. Legal everywhere, but if someone tries to drag you out of the rig.....hose em down.

will give you time to load your gun, smoke a cig. and pee before they come at you again.
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

The Peaceable Journey Law is the only regulation I know of.
    TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

There is NO regulation in the FMCSR -Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
    I carried in a big truck for decades. A law...no.
    An interpretation 'of the law' by some LEO...YES.
    If you are dispatched to go into Canada.....I suggest you better not have
    a gun in your possession .....If you're dispatched to a military base, you could have some problems, although a camera and a laptop are just as bad. [I used to frequent military bases, carried, and locked everything in a secure cage at the checkpoint, picked it up on the way out]
    Get caught with a gun in your truck in California.....we may never hear from you again.
    California will not even allow a baseball bat in a commercial vehicle.....not for any reason.
    Legal ?? I doubt it.....enforced...you bet.
    New Jersey.....Chicago....hmmm....you could be in real trouble.....
    Legal ? ENFORCED by their own interpretation !!!!
    You are guilty....until you prove your innocence .....
    I drove for 43yrs and owned a transportation company for
    most of them. I've not only heard the rumors, and the stories,but have seen it.
    And there are many others of us....right here on this forum that also have.
    Just for reference, many years ago you had to acquire a permit from each state
    to carry a weapon in your truck. Renew it each year. Connecticut was by far
    the easiest to get....5$ in the mail.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

We had an incident here in Knoxville a few years ago. A driver decided to sleep at at a customers dock to be first out in the morning. Sometime during the night a BG shows up and attempts to break in and rob this driver. This driver shoots BG who is now dead guy. Police arrive and take statements. Dead guys girlfriend states that dead guy had her drive him there with intentions to rob the driver. Now this driver is from Bama and had no permit. LEO deemed it SD, no charges filed, driver was free to go. Girlfriend charged as accomplice and arrested.

Dans idea is a good one. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

You decide what you will do.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You CAN carry in a cmv provided that YOU are legal to carry any other time. So, if you have a concealed carry permit, and it's honored in the state your in, then your clear legally. However, many companies don't allow a weapon in their vehicles. So check company policy and know the laws of the states you'll be traveling in. Remember that in CA you can't even smoke in your truck, acording to their laws. It is your place of business, and as per CA law you are not allowed to smoke in any place of business! Stupid laws, created by stupid people!
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Really funny [not] ....Years ago......NM and AZ had 'opposite' laws
    on carry, of which I don't remember exactly ....but one state required
    the gun to be visible, the other hidden...one could be loaded, the other
    separate from the ammo.....something of that nature.....
    Not that anyone has ever accused me of being a smartass....but I did ask a trooper WHERE THE HELL am I supposed to 'switch' the weapons status
    to comply with the law......ON the state line.....before the state line...after
    the state line.....is there markings on the shoulder [break down lane] with a
    measured designated area for this......he thought I was a smartass....:eek:
  10. carver

carver Moderator

Great idea for anyone who finds them selves in a situation where they can not have a gun! BUT, consider that federal law prohibits the use of any pesticide "in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." Likewise, some states forbid carrying substances for self-protection that aren't specifically authorized for that purpose. Stupid laws, created by stupid people!
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

There are MANY things drivers use for self protection......
    a tire checker[thumper]...but it MUST be labeled as such,
    hair spray, claw hammers, breaker bar,...etc.
    I kept several 3' and 4' lengths of polybutylene pipe, and if
    asked, they were 'tools' that I used to push chains through
    the bottom of pallets with.
    DOT in CA took my softball bat.....and I really did use it at
    batting cages, for exercise, when I had a chance.
  12. north tex

north tex Member

Something that you'll have to keep in mind. If you do deliveries and pick ups on federal installations you are subject to search on entry and exit. If THEY find a firearm you will be arrested. Can you fight it...maybe..but it will cost you many dollars and hours. States such as Ca, Il, NY, NJ, Md, and Ma will make your life miserable if they find a firearm in your truck (even with the federal regs saying you can carry in certain conditions). If you are driving for a trucking company, most will almost certainly have a no firearms policy. So it would cost you your job also.

I drove OTH for many years and never carried anything other than a tire thumper. Many locations I wished for more but had to balance my needs with reality and try to avoid stopping in real bad locations. Sometimes it took some planning and hedging the logbook a little. But now with the automated log books and satellite tracking many options are no longer available. That was a primary reason for me to retire from trucking.

I drove locally for the last 6 years and still found myself in locations that were bad, I was driving for a company that had a very strict no gun policy and moving to automated logs. They wanted 70 hours a week and when I left my hourly equivalent was down to less than $10. It got to the point that it was no longer worth it when you are fighting 450-550 miles daily in metro traffic.
    Good luck on your new career. Be careful and judicious.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not one to ever suggest breaking the law. I have a clean record and follow the laws of the land to the best of my ability. But no job is going to dictate my ability to protect myself when I am out in situations where there is no protection. If I am asked to travel to a military base or federal installation, I will stop at a gun shop in that town and make arrangements to leave my firearm with them or with another driver outside the post until I make my delivery, but I wont travel unarmed, period. As a traveling citizen, I wont go to any state that doesnt recognize my carry permit. So, if anyone I know or any relatives might live in one of those states, they will never see me again unless they come to me. I will not disarm for anyone.
  14. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

What about interstate travel in RV's ( travel trailers, 5th-wheels, motor homes etc.)? Can the gun be secured in the RV if it's not directly accessible from the tow vehicle?
  15. carver

carver Moderator

About ten years ago we decided to make a very long tour thru the western U.S., about 7,000 miles. I was worried about the same thing that you have asked. I got on the phone, and called every state, every state park, and every National Park that we intended to visit, and those close by in case we decided to go there. Everyone was polite, and the worst it got to be was gun unloaded, and stored seperate from the ammo. I never did unload the guns, and had no problems with anyone. Cops are not apt to stop you in a private vehicle if you are minding your P's, and Q's. Truck driver is whole nother story!