Self defense for truckers

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Jerryboy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I think like you! I've even carried in D.C. Visited the musems, and such, but I had a woman in a wheel chair that I was pushing, and the Security Guards would let us thru with out using the wand, cause the chair set of the alarm. I have to admit that I was more than a little worried at times. Everything worked out fine that trip, but won't ever test the Guards at the metal dectors again! No metal dector, I'm packin'! And this is just one of the many reasons that I no longer drive a truck! Those of us that were driving into Canada on, or just after, 9-11 can tell you all some stories!
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Against the law or not. No truck driver I ever meet was unarmed some didn't carry guns but they had bats or some form of striking instrument. 90+% of them carried a gun.

I grew up around trucking my dad was the GM for a local truckstop in my home town. My mom sister and I all worked there at some time.
  3. north tex

north tex Member

I am in sympathy and agreement with your attitude toward the situation. But it not always possible to find an FFL with parking for an 18 wheeler. Another aspect of the truck driver's situation is many HAVE to go to Canada and/or Mexico as a job requirement. Taking handguns into either country is prison time if caught. Often the drivers cross in at one port of entry location and return through a different port. Getting back to the FFL where you left your gun can be a problem. You have to draw a line somewhere to balance your income and safety needs.
  4. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

When my wife and I left for Vegas to get married years ago I was 19 years old. I had carried some sort of handgun in my pickup ever since I started driving and the local LEOs knew it but being a small town they never seemed to care. When we left the house that day I slipped my little billfold derringer in my back pocket and carried it while we were in Vegas and on out to California for our honeymoon. Walked all over Disneyland with it. Looking back now thinking if I had been caught with it I would still be in jail out there. I never gave it a second thought back then.
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

The bat deal works as long as you carry a mitt and a ball. A tirethumper was what i had in my cab as well as a 12 inch screwdriver. I hauled furniture for many years and when i had my gun i pulled over and put it in back before the scales.
  6. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

what would that do? surely they wouldn't be able to detect the extra weight of a gun in your cab?:confused:
  7. north tex

north tex Member

It's not the weight. I think he was referring to placing it in the cargo area of the truck. The likely hood of a random search increases when you stop at a scale. Many times just a dog walking by the truck. Many of them have been trained to key on any explosive's odor. Trouble is if you are running with a sealed dry box trailer then there is no way to open the doors and put the gun inside the cargo area (unless you have a duplicate seal).
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I carry one of my shotguns in the cab of the truck. Especially when going to oil wells out in the brush to pick up salt water. You never know when there will be an illegal alien coming at you with a mesquite branch
  9. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Fortunatlly I don't have to travel for any kind of work. I just don't go where I can't carry a gun.
  10. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I should have explained. when i put the gun in my trailer its not in my cab where they can search. it takes a federal warrant with every shippers name on it to search a furniture trailer. so it never in my years happened unless the dog smelled dope. i didnt seal my trailers only locks. open the door and put it in close and lock.