SELF DEFENSE PISTOL

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by big steve, Aug 16, 2009.

1. big steve

big steve New Member

HI,

I HAVE SOME IDEAS BUT I AM LOOKING TO GET OTHER PEOPLES IDEAS ON THIS SITUATION. I AM WANTING TO BUY A NEW PISTOL FOR ALL AROUND SELF DEFENSE. WHAT I MEAN BY ALL AROUND IS I WANT A PISTOL TO PROTECT MYSELF IN MY HOME AND WHEN IM OUT SO A PISTOL I CAN CARRY EVERYWHERE IS WHAT IM SAYING. IM LOOKING FOR ANY IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS ON THIS SITUATION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE ALL IDEAS.ALSO I AM NOT LOOKING TO SPEND A TON OF MONEY, I WANT SOMETHING THAT IS AFFORDABLE, AND RELIABLE.
    THANK YOU,
    STEVE:)

P.S. I WANT SOMETHING THAT HAS GOOD POWER.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

HELLO BIG STEVE...

IF YOU WANT A GREAT ALL ROUND SELF DEFENSE PISTOL THAT IS AFFORDABLE AND RELIABLE...I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BUY A GLOCK!!!!

LOL

mike
    gn
  3. big steve

big steve New Member

WOW MIKE I REALLY THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE SUGGESTED SOMETHING ELSE.LOL:D
  4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Sheesh!
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Glocknut is not known for subtlety.
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

You said you didn't want to spend alot of money... Glock fills that role very well. A Glock G19 in 9mm is utterly reliable if kept lubed and with the right ammo is very very viable for self defense.

The bold print was an attempt at being funny... you have "your" keyboard locked on capital letters... ;)

mike
    gn
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Did i annoy you with that one? :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

glock is a good choice, i've heard good things bout the bersa 380, and it's cheaper. but whenever i go to look at one, i love it.. then i look at some 380 ammo and i just cant buy it. 380 is just so little dagnabit
  9. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

If you are comfortable with autos, I would suggest a Bersa .380. Thats my all-around carry for any condition (1911 in winter b/c I can conceal it with a jacket). But if I had just one for all around it would be the .380. these things are small and most importantly...slim. Very slim. Easy to conceal even in a pocket. The safety is a concentric cam that makes it impossible for the hammer to contact the firing pin making it safer for carry with one in the chamber. First pull is double action which is a plus.

I use Hornady Critical Defense FTX 90gr ammo. Some people knock a .380, but you cannot beat it for the size and if you put a Hornady FTX center mass the attacker is going to stop doing whatever he was doing and the Bersa single stack offers 7+1 capacity. To me, the Bersa is a good balance between ease of concealment and stopping power. Fairly inexpensive as well. Usually under $300.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa380cc.php

If it's revolvers you like, a small frame .38 with 2" barrel. Easy to conceal and easier to use....just point and squeeze.

There will surely be arguments for larger caliber weapons, but ease of concealment will likely be an issue.

SS
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

LOL.

I thank you Glocknut that is the first good laugh I've had all day.

I've been installing my wife's new laptop, there is nothing more annoying than that. Anoying is not the word, infuriating is more like it.

I HATE MICROSOFT.

Just so you know.

I could go on for an hour and a half about the things Microsoft has done and not done that have hacked me off. To think I almost went into that line of work.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Get a .45. If you gotta carry something, you can go to a smaller caliber, a snubbie revolver, .380, even a .22. The .45 is a man stopper. Perfect for home and garden. TJ
  12. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Hi bud......you know about opinions..?

But I will help you if I can.......is budget a concern...?

Experience with Revolvers more so than Auto...?

Budget -Y ...Smith&Wesson Sigma ve 40..Auto Pistol ..Double action trigger designed closley on Model 60 revolver..usually comes with 2-14 round magazines. This weapon is reliable and made for defense/carry use vs target..as to the DBL action trigger....this trigger mostly as a safety..and only safety mechnism on weapon..other than a round chambered indicator.....unbelievably light...bottom receiver is practically a GLock. Very accurate from factory. S&W..after 4 contracts..have supplied over 70,000 of these 40/9 weapons to Afgan Mil & LEO. I carry one sometimes for carry and feel comfortable. Same model in a 9mm ve...same price and details as above. General opinion against this gun as to trigger gritty. This due to failure of polishing three key areas per sear , by automated ManFTR processes. Smith will smooth trigger for free at any outlet. But be advised play is there to stay, due to model 60 design of trigger group. Still under $ 300.00 most retailers.

Budget concern-N - GLock line. Kel-tec LIne. Springfield Line.
    I dont reccommend Taurus Auto at this time. Try to rent a type you really like the feel of at range , if you can. I would think hard about not using a 10mm for carry/defense. The vel of this round is a liability for non targets and neighbors next door . I suggest checking out 9mm, .40acp..and even .45 acp..although the 1911 or similiar shoul dnot be your first carry / primary weapon without substantial training per your part.

Revolver - Budget or not - Get a good one New or Used.

Highly reccommend solid made .357 Revolver with 4" barrel. You can use .38 spl until comfortable or feel neeed to use .357. Pick one from well known maker..if used..have it checked out per deal. Pick one that feels "right" in your hand and when you point it.

Dont know shooting experience , but for general, please seek training if needed, especially home safety course.

.380 one of the most popular due to size..but weak in stopping power vs callibers Ive told you about. Getting better but .380ammo nonexistent in major parts of country/dealers. Get self defense ammo..Hornady...keep box and date code.

Just general stuff..but is my opinion concerning the SIgma 40 if budgeted...or a /357/38 revolver if choice. I will help all I can.

Best to you...
  13. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Here are the most basic questions: First, are carrying concealed and if yes, how. The gun has to be small enough to fit your concealment scheme. Then you have to decide how much recoil you can stand. Bigger calibers recoil more, lighter guns recoil more, big light guns are severe. You have to decide revolver or auto, most folks are auto happy, I carry a revolver most of the time, don't discount the revolver which has advantages. The gun has to fit your hand. These question answered, you can actually begin looking and asking around.
  14. big steve

big steve New Member

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT. PRICE IS A CONCERN. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING POWERFUL EASY TO USE, EASY TO CARRY, AND LIKE I SADI NOT EXPENSIVE.THANKS STEVE:D
  15. big steve

big steve New Member

I AM LOOKING TO CONCEAL IT BUT I AM A BIG MAN SO IT SHOULDNT BE HARD. IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER TO ME HOW MUCH RECOIL AS LONG AS ITS NOT RIDICOLOUS. MOST LIKELY AUTO IF I CAN FIND ONE THAT FITS MY NEEDS.AND I HAVE A BIG AHND SO ANHY PISTOL SHOULD FIT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP STEVE:)
  16. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Actually, in a low price range I would suggest a Glock 26. Get some G17 mags for the house as back ups and normal G26 mags for regular carry. Though not my favorite (45 ACP ;)), the 9mm is a good round and will serve you needs well.
  17. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I really like my Springfield XD in .40 cal. A compact version might be better for concealed carry though. I carry mine on my hip in a paddle holster. I also like carrying a smaller pistol in an IWB in the small of my back, like a commander-size .45.
  18. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Steve, let me splain something about internet etiquette: When you write in ALL CAPS it is considered by some of our more, shall we say, sensitive members to be shouting.

That's it. That's everything there is to know about internet etiquette!

Any further questions on internet etiquette will be referred to our resident Miss Manners:

Glocknut

Miss Manners, AKA Glocknut:

[​IMG]
  19. Freebore

Freebore New Member

A picture is worth a 1000 words........

Attached Files:

20. big steve

big steve New Member

IM NOT SHOUTING ITS JUST EASIER FOR EVERYONE TO READ INCLUDING ME. PLUS I LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS BETTER PLEASE DONT THINK IM SHOUTING ITS JUST HOW I LIKE TO WRITE ON THE COMPUTER.
    THANKS STEVE