Self Defense Training

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Elmo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Elmo

Elmo New Member

I will be going off to college (an easy 45 minutes away from home) this fall and am interested in taking some self defense classes before, or during. I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on the best places to look for a reliable trainer? What should I look for?

Thanks so much! :D
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Many martial arts instructors can teach both hand-to-hand defense and weapon retention (which is very important if you carry). When you check a place out, make sure that it's not just a "belt-factory" place, and make sure that they are teaching real-life self defense stuff and not just competition stuff. The sport stuff is good, but it's not always the most practical when you're being attacked.

I grew up (am growing up?) fighting a lot... almost entirely with people I like (four brothers, several neighbors my age--and then later guys in my college dorm just to see who would win a fight). Even still, it is important to get some training from a knowledgeable source. For me it was a local sheriff deputy who teaches high school guys some ju jitsu (mixed with other stuff) both to give them something to do and to keep himself sharp and in shape.

There is a ton to learn, and there are a lot of good places to learn it. Unless someone knows something specific about your area, you're probably just going to have to go into some places and ask questions.

Where are you going to college, anyway? Someone here just might know a good place in that area.
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Here is a link to R.A.D.

It's something simple to start. I assume you're thinking about unarmed self-defense. If you don't think it's for you just say and we'll talk about other sources.

http://www.rad-systems.com/programs.html

If you're more serious...and can get to Nevada and willing to spend the cash...Front Sight has 2 day unarmed fighting class for beginners and a 2 day class that teaches you to use a small folding style knife.
  4. Elmo

Elmo New Member

Hello, and thank you for the link. I will be showing that to one of my advisors and asking if they offer, or would be interested in such a thing. Thank you so much! All resources are appreciated.
  5. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Elmo,

Much will depend upon what is available in your area. Remember that anyone can hand out a shingle but that does not make what is taught there valid.

Firstly, I think one needs to get straight what they need to learn. This is based primarily upon what one believes they are capable of doing should the need arise. Example: should you be a person who believes that, no matter what, you could not take another human’s life then I would say firearms training is not for you.

A complete close combat or self-protection program should cover, at the very least, the following subjects (listed in no particular order):

+ Intel gathering.
    + Avoidance.
    + Situational control.
    + Hand to hand.
    + Knife and stick.
    + Expedient weaponry.
    + Handgun.
    + Long gun (optional).
    + Home, auto, and work security (optional).​

At this point, you may be thinking that this is much more involved than I care to become. Not to worry as the methodologies of an acceptable curriculum will not be complex or deeply involved. We are talking in terms of hours of learning here as opposed to years. Let us realize that, regardless of the field, it is the basics that will be used the most.

You may have to piece this program together yourself, more than likely. This can be more fun and enlightening than you may think Elmo. As a starting point I suggest reading Dennis Martin’s excellent four part article entitled OVERVIEW OF COMBATIVES.

I would be more than happy to discuss this further should you so wish Elmo. For now, I have to run and I hope this was of at least some assistance to you.
  6. Elmo

Elmo New Member

Oh thank you so much for the link and information!

I am pretty sure little-old-freshman me is actually going to have to spear-head this project. I already have one girl who is very interested in helping, and since she has been there a bit longer than I have, she will know more about who to talk to to get things "official". But I am motivated.